Need to upgrade AV reciever - advice needed

mrTT

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys

I need to upgrade my yamaha rx-v757 av reciever as i need hdmi inputs and HD audio decoding. I have KEF 2005.2 speakers and im hoping ide get an improvement in sound quality when i upgrade. Problem is, i dont know if i will.

I have currently seen the Denon 1912 going for just £279 and was wondering if this would be an improvement over my yamaha? Think it has slightly less power though. How about the yamaha rx-v671? would this give me an improvement in SQ? or do i really need to make a bigger step up to something like a denon 2312 or rx-v1067?

Ide like opnions as £279 for a 1912 is very tempting :)

thanks

p.s anyone heard the 1912, rx-v671 and onkyo nr609 side by side?

Both the DEnon AVR1912 and the Yamaha RXV671 will result in comparable SQ, but no better than your existing amp. The Denon AVR2312 and the Yamaha RXV1067 will give you better SQ, but only slighly better than your current amp.

i think the denon would be a smoother sound on musical aspect of films , have u looked into onkyo ?

90w on the denon will drive the kef's nice

Ah thanks

well i was looking into the onkyo, posted a thread about my yamaha vs onkyo nr609 and was told that the onkyo sound was awful compared to yamaha that i have so ive no longer been considering it. should I?

btw are my speakers even good enough to get the best out of a higher end reciever?

Ah thanks

well i was looking into the onkyo, posted a thread about my yamaha vs onkyo nr609 and was told that the onkyo sound was awful compared to yamaha that i have so ive no longer been considering it. should I?

btw are my speakers even good enough to get the best out of a higher end reciever?

I'd rate the Denon AVR1912 as being a better deal than what you'd get from the Onkyo TXNR609. You're better off with the Denon than with either the Onkyo or a Yamaha RXV671, but both the Onkyo and the Yamaha are slightly better amps than the DEnon. The price difference doesn't warrant the extra though.

It wouldn't be worth spending too much more on an amp with your current speakers.

thanks

Ide love to get the RXA810 but its more than twice the price of the 1912 and well over my budget :-(

For your sub £400 budget I'd narrow your choice down to either the Denon AVR1912 or the Yamaha RXV671. Of those two I'd say the Denon offers you the better value for money. The Yamaha will give you slightly better SQ than the Denon, but not enough to warranty the additional cost.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom