Need to switch from cable to ADSL - advice please..

Discussion in 'ISPs & The Internet' started by swayzak, Jan 20, 2008.

1. swayzak

swayzak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    hi

I've been a happy ntl/Virgin customer for several years - great, reliable broadband connection.

However, I need to move & my new house doesn't have cable
    (although it is right on the edge of a suburb that does).

As I understand it, there are inevitable bandwidth sharing issues with ADSL which means the connection is not as consistent (in bandwidth terms) as cable.

Can anyone recommend me an ADSL ISP / package which would come nearest to replicating the 4MB service I have with Virgin ?

Do all providers use BT infrastructure ? If so, do they all provide similar quality of connection or are some more reliable than others ?

Given the close proximity to a cabled area, is there a way I can check whether Virgin plan to connect this street or do they never divulge this information ?

thanks

swayzak

2. Rygar

Rygar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +274
    There are inevitable bandwidth sharing issues with cable as well, thus the reason for virgin's much discussed traffic management policy. If you can get BE or Sky LLU, you will actually find them less restrictive than virgin cable in this respect.
    Of couse the speed you can get will essentialy depend on how near your exchange is.

Not all providers use the BT infastructure, most do though & there can be marked differences between the ones that do.

Which ADSL ISP to go for will depend on your particular requirements, but in general if you can get BE or Sky LLU then they should appear high on your shortlist.

If you cannot get BE or Sky LLU then a provider like ADSL24 will give you best bang for buck. £20/month for up to 8Mb, 30GB peak + 300GB off peak. Speeds can sometimes slow down to around 2Mb during off peak times, because that's when the majority are doing their big downloads.

For consitent fast speeds from a non LLU provider look at IDnet, Newnet & Zen. The trade off is that their monthly data allowances are much lower.

If you know the details of your new place, use the 1st link in my sig to review your options.

3. DistortionNat

DistortionNat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    I would just like to say that I have switched from Virgin ADSL 8 meg to ADSL24 8 meg and I am EXTREEMLY happy. ADSL24 are great value for money and are consistently fast. Virgin were useless.

4. swayzak

swayzak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    thanks people

I got loads of useful stuff from Thinkbroadband forum.

Seems I have access to Be (amongst others) at my exchange (about 2 miles away) & they come highly recommended (although in parlous financial state apparantly).

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange.php?ecode=EMODDBY

Thinking of basic to mid package (£14 or £18).

5. Rygar

Rygar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +274
    I wouldn't worry about BE's finances. They are owned by O2 and nothing drastic that will affect customers is likely to happen over the next year or so. Worse that could happen would be a sudden price increase & if that happened you would be able to escape your contract easily. Really don't see that happening though.

Also I would not rule out Sky if you have Sky TV. Great value for money (even cheaper than BE) for what is a very good service.

6. y2k

y2k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +291
  7. swayzak

swayzak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks

I just don't really want any of Sky's other services - happy with Freeview.

So a suitable Be connection, freeview & £11 / month line rental (plus calls) would suite me I think....