Need to sort out my images

Fleeting

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

I have loads of images on my PC which are at least filed in years but other than that they are all over the place...'copies, edited images, resized ones'.

I have just had a D80 for Xmas :) ( have been using a Ixus for the past 3 years for digital & a F90x which I had to sell to pay a Tax bill :thumbsdow ).

How do you guys store all your pics? Is there software to help?

Also I was trigger happy with my new toy on Xmas day and ran off 70 pics!. Do you recommend keeping it at 10mp/fine constantly? I did but it seems a waste of 'file space' when most of those 70 pics were just snapshots.

Thanks and this looks like a good forum....I'll post a pic when I get time:D

On my PC I use Elements to organise my photos and it seems to do a good job. Just getting to grips with iphoto on the Mac at the moment.

On the pc I have all my photos sorted into folder for when they were taken, for examble i took some photos in poland in November so the folder for this is: 2006.11.14 until 2006.11.17 Poland. This way all the folders are kept exactly in the order that they were taken.

Then if I do anything to these pictures in that folder, I will create a sub folder calling it whatever I may be doing for examble "collage" then do everything in there, making more copies, so that I will never end up deleting the original by mistake.

Jarvis

Use Elements to organise photos with lots of tags. Store photos in folders called YYYY-MM-WHATITIS (e.g. 2006-09-MAJORCA) and also set up a tag for the folder name so that it is easy to find them in organiser by folder. Keep all the RAW originals offline on DVD.

Take a look at Adobe's Lightroom app. It would be my choice on a PC. That or Capture One and iView Media Pro.

Thanks for the replys.

I've installed picassa and it seems ok.

What advantage would I gain from Lightroom over picassa?

Oh...how do I change my name?

Don't like 'boon' anymore.

I use acdsee some clever features. Has a duplicate finder and you can add keywords to your images so you can index them.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom