Need to replace Sky Q

mikeybabes2

Distinguished Member
I've honestly had it with Sky, and I want to leave and I'm looking for some advice.

First of all, I cannot get a BT phone line where I live so Virgin etc are not available to me. But I do have good broadband. I currently have SKY Q with 2 x multiroom boxes.

What I'd ideally like is a FreeSat Box which has a similar kind of planner/live pause/rewind/record function, but also has the ability to do something similar to multiroom, as the other two TV's have limited aerial access. Is there anything like that on the market ? If it had Netflix too that would be a bonus but not essential.

Would a Freesat box just plug into my current sky dish, or wold I need to replace it ?

To be honest, if it weren't for the wife and kids I'd not even bother with live TV as it's generally so dire these days...

I don't mind spending a bit to get things sorted out and any advice you guys and gals could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Mike

paulyoung666

Distinguished Member
Freesat is overrated from the point of getting a recorder imo , anything I want to watch I get from catch up , then I have prime and Netflix , and best of all YouTube , not missing sky one little bit to be honest , except for the sport , I’ve decided I’m not paying for that though , especially not at the moment .....

Fred Smith

I've honestly had it with Sky, and I want to leave and I'm looking for some advice.

First of all, I cannot get a BT phone line where I live so Virgin etc are not available to me. But I do have good broadband. I currently have SKY Q with 2 x multiroom boxes.

Virgin don't use BT (Openreach) phone lines so you post does not make sense.

What I'd ideally like is a FreeSat Box which has a similar kind of planner/live pause/rewind/record function, but also has the ability to do something similar to multiroom, as the other two TV's have limited aerial access. Is there anything like that on the market ? If it had Netflix too that would be a bonus but not essential.

Would a Freesat box just plug into my current sky dish, or wold I need to replace it ?

To be honest, if it weren't for the wife and kids I'd not even bother with live TV as it's generally so dire these days...

I don't mind spending a bit to get things sorted out and any advice you guys and gals could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Mike

There is only one current manufactures of Freesat boxes compatable with the Sky Q LNB, Arris, others wouild probably require an LNB change unless the Sky Q LNB is a Hybrid. Lots of info here:

TJT1

How do you get a broadband connection and are not able to get a phone line?:confused:

mikeybabes2

Distinguished Member
I live in an area that is covered by Kingston Communications. They own the lines and the cables, and you cannot get a BT line in our area. If you want broadband/ISDN/Landline, you have no choice but to go through KCOM.

As I understand it, BT COULD, if they wanted to, come into the area, but have chosen not to. Hence we pay very high Broadband charges. My Landline/Broadband is £ 54 pm alone, however, it is unmetered internet.

Sky & Virgin do not offer phone/broadband services in our area, and virgin do not offer their TV service either.

I always thought the Virgin used BT lines for their services - which is why they don't offer services here. None of the other broadband providers offer services in my area either - or at least they didn't last time I checked. It's pretty much a monopoly.

Fred Smith

Kingston Communications have a historical monopoly in the Hull area.

Virgin used to use BT (Openreach) lines for thier ADSL service but sold them off a good few years ago to TalkTalk I seem to remember.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom