Need to replace my CD player in my hi fi

wibble69

Standard Member
Hi

Bit of a newbie question, but not particularly tech minded. I have a Technics hi fi system that's about 11 years old. CD player needs replacing. Would I be able to replace it with a CD player from a different Technics range, as it's virtually impossible to get hold of the one I have (EH500). I've seen one on ebay that appears to have the same connector, from the SL-CH570 range. Viable? Alternatively, can I put any CD player in there - I know aesthetically not a great idea, but theoretically would it be a goer?

Thanks in advance for any answers.

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
Assuming it is a stand alone CD player, and assuming it uses standard RCA-style connections, you should be able to replace it with any player on the market, including CD, DVD, BluRay, or Universal.

If it is not a stand alone, and it does not use standard connections, then you need to give us a lot more information, starting with the specific model numbers of the equipment.

Steve/bluewizard

Dazzor

Do you have a ribbon-type connection between the CD and the amp... like this?

technics.jpg

Even so, if your system is like this one it looks like you may be able to hook up a standard CDP via the RCA connections on the amp section...maybe?

Last edited:

wibble69

Standard Member
This is exactly what it looks like. As it happens, I found another Technics separates system - the one pictured as it happens (!), which I've bought off eBay for the princely sum of £35. So problem solved. Useful to know the RCA connector info re swapping another CDP in the future.

Thanks for your input both of you. :)

wibble69

Standard Member
I took delivery of the system today, to discover that it doesn't have a graphic equaliser, just some preset eq'd settings. This has hampered my attempts to get this as the main stereo in our living room, as the original Technics system that we have in there - sh-eh500 being the cd player within this (and same model number for sound processor) does have one - so we mainly use it to play music from our pc as the cd player doesn't work. As the only thing wrong with the original sytem is that the cd player doesn't work, I attemtped to swap the cd players over (SL-CH570 being the model number of the 'new' cd player). It connects up alright using th eribbons pictured elsewhere in the thread and the cd spins round when you power up the unit, but that's all it does, it doesnt say that (for instance) a 14 track cd is in there, and it doesn't play the cd. Any way round this?

The latest video from AVForums

Are the TCL MiniLED TVs better than OLED? TCL Interview with Marek Maciejewski | AVForums Podcast
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom