Question Need to replace my 15 year old Panasonic plasma, suggestions?

stuartam_81

Standard Member
So my Panasonic 42” plasma is 15 years old it still works fine but it only does 1080i and it’s starting to get a little screen burn.

im after a sub 50” tv, watch a lot of sport mainly Eurosport and general tv along with the odd film, we current have sky q connected to the Panasonic and use Netflix and prime too. I’ve been looking at the LG oled48cx it sounds like a good option but I’ve read a bit about screen burn and I’ve always had Panasonic so not sure about LG , I suspect any new tv won’t last 15 years...

the only other option I have seen in the Sony but that’s even more expensive, I could see any Panasonic option, or is it worth waiting till next year

thanks in advance
Stu

Dodgexander

If you watch a lot of the same sport, with static elements then you may want to reconsider OLED. Watching sport itself doesn't put you at risk, but it can depend how much, and how unvaried the sport is. Seeing burn in on your Plasma could be a warning sign that you may also see it on an OLED.

For example, news channels, or sports news channels are something that is definitely best avoided on an OLED. You can read about screen burn, and even calculate how soon you can expect to see it on your TV (using the mentioned rtings.com real life burn in test) before making a decision.

It's also worth considering that if you can fit a 55" TV instead of a 48" they tend to be much better value, and there's more choice too. Less than 55" TVs nowadays tend to be just as expensive, sometimes more expensive than 55" models. In the case of LCD TVs, 49" and 50" models are also lower spec.

stuartam_81

Standard Member
Than both, unfortunately I’m limited to 50” my current plasma is 42” but because it’s so old it’s got a big surround so a 50” with today’s small bezel works out to be the same size.

I think the thing I’ve noticed on my current screen is the Eurosport logo which lasts a bit after changing channel and also after watching the Tour de France (or any thing with the on screen hud) stays onscreen after you switch channel for a bit.

Stu

Dodgexander

If Eurosport have a static logo and you watch a lot of it, go with an LCD TV like the Sony 49XH9505 instead. Just beware that like most LCD TVs, it has narrow viewing angles, so must only be viewed directly in front.

I don't think events like Tour de France are too risky because its just on once a year. It's the consistency of showing logos on the screen which is dangerous, as you've found with your plasma TV.

If you really want to go OLED, you can buy from John Lewis and also pay extra for the burn in insurance for a peace of mind. The CX is the best overall OLED, but the Sony A9S and Philips OLED935 also do their own things better.

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom