1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need to reduce Hard Drive Noise

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by PannyAdams, Feb 23, 2005.

1. PannyAdams

PannyAdams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I have finished building my HTPC using the excellent Silverstone LC03 case. I am using a Zalman CNPS7700. I have replace the silverstone fans with Silenx fans, then I noticed the PSU was now the loudest noise source so I replaced that with a Silenx PSU (that to all intents and purposes is silent!). So now the only thing I can hear is my hard drives (1xSamsung spin point and 4xSeagate Barracuda). The trouble with normal noise reduction is the it means the disks have to be mounted in 5.25 bays, where as the LC03 only has 4 3.5 slots and only one free 5.25 slot.

Does anyone have any hard drive quietening tips that don't involve mounting in a larger drive bay?

Thanks

Barry

2. Werner

Werner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Barry, how did you fit 5 hdd's into that case? it only has space for two "normally"...

awesome job though...5 drives:) *grins from ear to ear

to silence, suspend with rubber bands if you got the space, othersie try to fit some rubber spacers between the drives and the case where the screws mount, this will take up some vibrations and noise, but you will have to cut them small so they dont interfere with the drives mounting.

3. PannyAdams

PannyAdams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Sorry......I have the LC10 case. 3 in the 3.5" stack. 1 above the dvd in the 5.25 bay and one in the hidden 3.5 bay below it.

Only room to suspend from elastic in the 5.25 slot and no room to fit rubber mounts in the 3.5 bays as the drives fit snuggly.

I think I'm going to have to mod the case - I've seen an interesting sandwich design using aluminium plate and high density foam that I might ammend to a stack.

Also, will soundproofing the case help much? Such as Acoustipack from quiet PC? Or the cheaper Speeze foam kits. Anyone done this? is it worth the cash?

4. Werner

Werner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes, soundproofing works to make the machine quiet, but it increases heat, which means you have a tendency to turn up the fans, which negates the use of soundproofing, lol. If you can live with a slightly hotter machine then it will be fine though.

5. Xelon

Xelon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Why are you using 5 HDD's in a HTPC? Surely 2 at the absolute maximum, preferably one large 300GB+ SATA drive, are you running an exotic RAID config like RAID 5?(3 hdd's Min.) 2 will enable Raid 0 or 1, I would think that you will always have noise issues with 5. Have you thought about off line storage solutions? External, USB, SAN etc. or simply a cheap PC Box packed with HDD's stored in another area. You may no all the above and have youre own reasons just interested. Nice Case by the way, been following the reviews of the LC-10 especially the storage potential!