Question Need to plug my turntables power chord into something.

jeff52pnr

Standard Member
Reaction score
Don’t know if it’s just me or what. My turntable has 3 fixed cables coming out of the back, 2 are the normal red and white RCAs which I’m quite happy about and know how to put them to comparative good use. However the 3rd is beginning to annoy me as it should connect into my amp which has a 12 volt dc power outlet that powers the t/table. I have to replace the amp as it is broken.(in fact the only thing that works is the afore mentioned outlet).To avoid keeping the amp just for that I hope to replace it. It’s odds on I won’t find one with that outlet so here’s the question;
I need to plug my little black lead and plug into a socket that supplies 12volts dc.All the adapters I’ve seen on amazon etc are the other way around- they have cables coming out of them looking for a device with a socket in. Mine doesn’t have a socket ,mine has a cable which is eager to find its fellow socket, then we’ll all be happy. Sick of reading about cigar lighter sockets. A picture of this black chord and it’s plug will follow I hope. Thanks to all. As you may have worked out I’m at the wrong end of a 3 hour search.
Thanks,
Jeff52pnr.
25AC4FD0-3639-48BC-8E3A-69E9857974E4.jpeg
426C6922-942B-4F03-B1DF-2BB70244746A.jpeg

Attachments

• 3A813AED-7616-4565-B18B-2FB377455B92.jpeg
    3A813AED-7616-4565-B18B-2FB377455B92.jpeg
    285.6 KB · Views: 357
Last edited:
-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
See your other post

Thanks Boris for the quick reply. So I have to buy a power adapter or wall wart, as you say, which plugs into the mains in the wall then attach your gender changer and then plug my cable into that, is that correct?

Last edited:
Thanks Boris for the quick reply. So I have to buy a power adapter or wall wart, as you say, which plugs into the mains in the wall then attach your gender changer and then plug my cable into that, is that correct?
Aye.

Jeff:
It's worth confirming the polarity and current consumption of your TT before buying the 12v PSU.
(These details should be listed in the specs. of the TT and / or the old amp - maybe it's socket is labelled).
The polarity will (almost certainly) be centre positive.
Current consumption will be rated in milliamps (mA).
Just ensure the mA rating of the PSU comfortably exceeds the TT's requirement.
You'll probably want, at least a 1 amp PSU (1 Amp = 1,000mA).
Also, you'll see that when you order that coupler you have to specify (in the 'connector type' pull-down box) whether you want 2.1mm or 2.5mm centre pin - select 2.1mm, then just ensure the PSU you get has a 2.1mm plug (as the coupler joins like-for-like plugs).

Last edited:
Jeff:
It's worth confirming the polarity and current consumption of your TT before buying the 12v PSU.
(These details should be listed in the specs. of the TT and / or the old amp - maybe it's socket is labelled).
The polarity will (almost certainly) be centre positive.
Current consumption will be rated in milliamps (mA).
Just ensure the mA rating of the PSU comfortably exceeds the TT's requirement.
You'll probably want, at least a 1 amp PSU (1 Amp = 1,000mA).
Also, you'll see that when you order that coupler you have to specify (in the 'connector type' pull-down box) whether you want 2.1mm or 2.5mm centre pin - select 2.1mm, then just ensure the PSU you get has a 2.1mm plug (as the coupler joins like-for-like plugs).
Hi again. Sorry for delay. Thanks Gray for the detailed explanation. Much appreciated.At the moment I’m in limbo as my brother in law may have a suitable power chord but he can’t bring it for a week or so. So I’ll take it from there. Will let you know.

Now waiting for both power chord and adapter. Ordered but no sign of them from amazon due to virus although did receive new amp from them. Thanks.

Yes, there may be a bit of a wait.
Someone I know just ordered the Marantz Ruby CDP and amp - same night the Government told all the non-essential retailers to close!
Much of the world is on hold right now. Historic times.

Hi all,
More fun and games. My power adapter(5.5x 2.5) was cancelled by amazon because of situation with virus. However the coupler (female at each end) came last week.it’s similarly 5.5x 2.5. Sorry Gray I know you said 2.1 but at least I tried to match it to the power adapter. Anyway the pin on the coupler is far too big but the sleeve seems ok or maybe a bit loose. So maybe I need a 5.5x2.1. I decided to try and measure the female port on my amp - the one that my lead from my phono went into before the amp broke.That’s what I want to replicate to plug my phono lead into. I think you’ll be impressed with the way I did it. But the measurements resulting leave a lot to be desired on the standard size front. (see photo). See what measurements you chaps come up with because the measurements I get are strange to say the least.
Just wondered if it’s possible to cut the plug off on the phono lead and connect a normal sized plug eg 5.5x 2.5 .
Many thanks.
B9E7B7C9-9BCE-4660-918B-CBDFBDE7CF37.jpeg

Some questions for you Jeff:
Did you confirm the polarity of the socket on the old amp - to be pin positive?
Did you confirm that the power supply you ordered can give adequate current to the turntable?
Have you got access to a multimeter and are you OK with using it?

The coupler was originally suggested by Boris to make things convenient for you. As it happens, it's adding complication.....If you can use that meter, I'll go from there. (If you were near South Essex....without the lockdown.... I'd gladly do it for you).
I was indeed impressed :clap: but can you include the same photo without the ruler? (I just want to see if there's any relevant info being obscured).
If you can give the make and model number of the old amp and turntable too.
We'll get you there in the end.

Last edited:
Thanks for your time Gray. Wish you could come round but apart from lockdown I live in Spain. (Imagine the trouble I have ordering from amazon Spain, but they’re quite good.)Thanks any way for the offer.
I can’t find anywhere in handbook about polarity of pin in socket.
However. TT is Pioneer PL-Z81. Amp/cassette deck. Is Pioneer DC-Z81
As you know it’s 12v. I know in my head that it’s 3 amps but can’t remember how I know. Can’t find in book. Maybe I looked my model up on the net. Will Persue that. The power adapter has been cancelled by amazon but I haven’t reordered yet. It was 12 v and 3 Amp. I’ll hold on for now. Sorry but multimeter never heard of.
Enclosing photos. Hope enough to be going on with. Much appreciated.
D3B6F095-31EC-4735-BA99-235C881738CC.jpeg
47093159-8360-411A-90D8-D7C7B6FAEA5B.jpeg
B3007646-E497-48A4-91DD-57D1572EEC01.jpeg
EA4C53D0-C5E2-4720-B9B8-057FF7A85FC4.jpeg
B3007646-E497-48A4-91DD-57D1572EEC01.jpeg
EA4C53D0-C5E2-4720-B9B8-057FF7A85FC4.jpeg

Centre tip negative is quite rare.

Suggest you just get a good quality REGULATED power supply, snip the plug off and use some connection block to join the wires up.

Your latest diagram shows that you can't now join plug-to-plug.
As noisboy72 suggests above Jeff, cut the plug off the PSU you will re-order and the TT, then join wires with a terminal block.
You know that the white wire on your TT needs positive.
But the PSU might (or not) identify negative with a white striped wire!
If motor runs clockwise, you've got the polarity correct!
If it runs backwards, reverse one pair of wires in the block.

Stay safe over there in Spain!

Last edited:
Thank you both. Please excuse my lack of electrical knowledge and quality of thes photographs. Is the green connector on the right of the row on photo 1 ok. This psu has right amps and volts but polarity has to be the opposite? or doesn’t that matter now?

Or are we talking about something like photo 2?
When you say motor going clockwise, Gray, is that the platter that the record goes on.? Thanks again.
53009F96-B6A0-4623-8E0C-31986CBD15B3.jpeg
4EA9248A-CDA4-4331-B4D3-8047B059A062.jpeg

Thank you both. Please excuse my lack of electrical knowledge and quality of thes photographs. Is the green connector on the right of the row on photo 1 ok. This psu has right amps and volts but polarity has to be the opposite? or doesn’t that matter now?

Or are we talking about something like photo 2?
When you say motor going clockwise, Gray, is that the platter that the record goes on.? Thanks again.View attachment 1278142View attachment 1278143
Yes, the green connector is fine - which means you don't need the terminal block in photo 2.

The polarity (+positive and -negative) should be marked on, or near, the green connector.

Just connect the bared ends of your TT lead to the screw terminals (according to a previous diagram the positive one of the pair is white - doesn't look like it from your actual photo - maybe it's just got a white identifier on the black cable?).

And yes, when connected correctly, the platter will turn clockwise.

Hi Gray,
I’ve just had a look at my cable coming from the TT. and there’s a very thin faint white line running down one side. I’ve never noticed before. That’s very clever. I’d give you one of those applause things like you did but I don’t know how.
Just to make sure the psu can have centre negative or centre positive, it doesn’t matter. Is that right.?
Sounds like we’re nearly there. Thanks.

.....the psu can have centre negative or centre positive, it doesn’t matter. Is that right.?
It only mattered when you were going to use the coupler to join 2 plugs.
When using the green screw terminals, you can ensure the white-striped one finds the positive screw terminal.
On the TT wire, strip off about 6mm of insulation on each, then twist the bare wires (to ensure there are no stray strands). Fold each bare end in half before inserting in the holes and screwing down on them.

If you click on the little smiling face on the toolbar you get a choice of :clap: or 🤪 or this one, which explains, as we found, why it's a good idea to :rtfm: read the ***king manual 🤣
Finally, one for these historic times 😷

When thinking about a new amp Jeff, don't forget the need for a phono pre-amp for your TT.
Either built in to the amp (some amps don't have them), or a standalone one feeding a line-level input.

That’s great news Gray. I’ll go ahead and order it, the psu not the amp because I already have the amp. It arrived just after our lockdown which surprised me but there it was,the masked bearer standing well back. Seems good...Pioneer A10 AE. Yes I made sure it had a phono input and an output for my tape recording. Preampwise, daré I say I may be ahead of you on this one but shoot me down if I’m wrong. My cartridge is MM type which I think means you don’t need preamp. But you’ve got me thinking so next job is to try phono connecting it to the old amp 12 v input.
Thanks for info regarding those little men. Will certainly rtfm.:thumbsdow:clap:.
Gracias

That’s great news Gray. I’ll go ahead and order it, the psu not the amp because I already have the amp. It arrived just after our lockdown which surprised me but there it was,the masked bearer standing well back. Seems good...Pioneer A10 AE. Yes I made sure it had a phono input and an output for my tape recording. Preampwise, daré I say I may be ahead of you on this one but shoot me down if I’m wrong. My cartridge is MM type which I think means you don’t need preamp. But you’ve got me thinking so next job is to try phono connecting it to the old amp 12 v input.
Thanks for info regarding those little men. Will certainly rtfm.:thumbsdow:clap:.
Gracias
The fact that your amp has a phono input means that it does have a built-in pre-amp for your Moving Magnet type cartridge. (Amps started to be sold without when vinyl went out of fashion - now they realise people want them again).
You were probably thinking about Moving Coil cartridges, that need a step-up transformer, which often comes in a separate box.
Let me know if the TT works (it will :thumbsup:).

Yes I’m confident it will work. So my TT’s MM cartridge went out of fashion and came back in? Just shows its (and my) age.
If I order the adapter now it looks as if it will be a few weeks after when I’ll certainly let you know. By the way I did test it using old amp power and obviously worked. Thanks for all your help Gray.Till soon.:clap:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom