1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need to make my monitor 'wireless'

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by JayList, Aug 30, 2005.

1. JayList

JayList

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi.

I have my customer MCE media center in my AV stack. I am going to connect this to my hdtv dlp when it arrives. However I still want to use my lcd prolite e483s montior for doing lots of emails or games as the quality I understand will be better for long term stuff.

I also need a screen on the table for serious typing. I can get the keyboard anad mouse wireless with enough room , that's not a problem.

I need to get the signal from the HTPC to the lcd screen.

I have seen VGA extender cables and also boxes that convert the image onto cat5 network cables. Then that plugs back into the lcd via vga.

However I would like a wireless way to do it if possible. All the wireles options I can see are for getting the image from the PC to the TV, and not from the PV to the monitor.

Any suggestions?
    monitor extended
    http://www.misco.co.uk/productinformation/~67226~/BELKIN OMNIVIEW MONITOR EXTENDER.htm

Cat 5 video
    http://www.videkonline.co.uk/home.asp?page=SubSections&sectionID=212&chapterID=32

Just seen this wireless vga extender. but eek the price is a bit steep.

http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,115967,00.asp

2. JayList

JayList

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Found it!

the Avocent LongView Wireless KVM Extender (Transmitter and Receiver) can wirelessly connect monitors (VGA, SVGA and XGA), keyboards, mice and audio devices to any computer, up to 100 feet away. LongView Wireless extension, based on the 802.11a standard and Advanced Encryption Standard (AES), connects directly to target devices. It serves as the radio interface link so the computer can transmit secure audio and high-resolution video data through walls -- all without VGA cables. Plug and play installation requires no new operating system, drivers or application software. Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) provides secure connections. Graphical On-Screen Display (OSD) allows you to make adjustments and tune video settings. This product's proprietary design is based on the 802.11a standard. This includes both the transmitter and receiver units.

did a search on dealtime in the us. Got the price down to $548.14 :clap:

This gives me an encrpypted method of using the keyboard mouse and monitor from my desk. AES encyption is good, think of all the times you typing your password on your wireless keyboard waiting for someone to snarf it. :eek:

A reasonable price with a 100% wife approval factor.

I am going to order it and get my brother to send it from the US to here.

3. JayList

JayList

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well. I was about to order, and looked at the specs.

Wireless Video. Up to 30 frames per second.
    XGA resolution (1024 x 768).

So not ideal for remote LCD gaming then. :(

I will just have to get a lan/vga cable extender then. My wife wants me to unplug it when it's not in use so we are not trailing cables everywhere.

Still we move house next year so I'll set up a permanent solution when we move. Hide the cables somewhere probably.

Maybe save this money and by myself the RD65 instead. :clap:

4. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    I am not sure if this helps or not.... you could get into your HTPC via another networked PC using remote desktop, this would enable you to do system maintenance and work on it without getting the projector up and running.

lisa

5. JayList

JayList

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm buying a DLP rear projector sp I can have it running the whole time. But lcd screens are good at text so for more serious work I can use my lcd.

I bit the bullet and bought a DVI splitter and a 10m DVI cable so I can run the LCD from the HTPC as well as the DLP.

And those remote desktops always suffer from compression and lag itis.

The LCD is there for a pure picture.

J