Need to lose a lot of weight but need tips.

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by TheAdmiralCS, Aug 6, 2013.

1. TheAdmiralCS

TheAdmiralCS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,230
    Hi all

After reading through some of these threads for inspiration, I'm just after your tips to get myself weighing less and feeling better.

Basically, I weigh FAAAAAR too much (a tad over 20st) and need to lose a fair "chunk" of that. I'm not in a rush to do it, need to do it healthily but some stumbling blocks are:
    I do not have the cash for gym or other external get fit things, or indeed fancy foods.
    I work in IT, sat at desk most of the day.
    Have very little "motivation" apart from I want to lose the weight.
    Can't run very well as it starts to hurt knees after a while (as I reckon it would weighing as much as I do) but walking is not an issue for a good distance (5 miles is not out of the question).

Good points:
    Have 2 dogs, want to start walking them (wife currently does it) when I get home and kiddies are in bed, around 7ish.
    It's possible for me to get the train to work and walk in to the office (2 miles or so) 2/3 days a week.
    We have an exercise bike at home, electric powered with a mini computer on that sets you some programs etc - I tried the fat burning one, knackered me for the 30 minutes I managed and kinda put me off it(15km).

I have read about the 5/2 diet, or fasting for 16 hours and whathaveyou, but I need real experiences from you guys and some advice on where I start.
    Help me AVF, you really are my only hope!

Last edited: Aug 6, 2013
  2. Foster

Foster
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,088
    First of all, just keep it simple you don't need to stand on your head whilst drinking 50 pints of water (lol jk). I lost 9 stone from just exercising (do what ever you enjoy the most and you'll stick with it) and cutting out the junk and eating healthy through the week and on a weekend I would have a takeaway or whatever. Some here like to count calories, I never did but if you feel more in control doing that then use something like myfitnesspal.

3. andyr300

andyr300

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +104
    Simple stuff will do it if you can keep motivated.

Cut out easy calories - e.g. drink water rather than anythign sweet. Dont eat any obvious snacky foods.
    Cut down on carbs - don't cut them out as you will be forever hungry, but try and cut them down, increase meat/veg intake to compensate, where possible eat brown/wholemeal options rather than white ones.

Exercise doesn't need to take long or be boring, walking is good, but if you can find an activity that will get you very out of breath and do that a couple of times a week, thats great, even if its only going mental on the exercise bike for 2minutes every other day. Research has shown that just doing this high intensity type of exercise (even if only for 30secs or so) really helps to get the metabolism going and can aid in weight loss.

I have read about the 5/2 diet, it apparently does work but not be a great place to start, as quite intense on the 2 off days. Might be better to cut down a bit first for a few weeks then give the 5/2 a go from there.

Most important thing for weight loss is to remain motivated for it, so either set achiveable goals or find a weight loss buddy to keep your interest up.

4. paddy187

paddy187

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +254
    Same advice here - make it work for you but do it gradually. It will take time and patience but you will notice it eventually.

I lost 8 stone in two years but it was hard work. Worth it though! The first tip to start on is look at your portions. Measure out 30 grams of Bran flakes for breakfast. You will be amazed at the start how small it is but it becomes second nature. Then weigh out things like pasta for dinner. It's boring but you won't need to do it after a while.

In terms of exercise, slowly work up your stamina. You wouldn't expect to find a 15km bike ride easy at the start. Do it in blocks of ten mins then slowly increase the time. I wouldn't go and lift 100kg straight away but I slowly built up over months and my body can handle it now.

Remember do something sustainable or you will never stick at it. You've got enough else going on in life with work and two kids that it needs to fit with it all. (I have two kids and a 50 hr job as well)

5. Arcam_boy

Arcam_boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,334
    I can only echo what the other guys have said.

Make small changes and keep it simple.

Go with your wife for a walk with the dogs in the evening or start taking them yourself. Walk to work or if you can or get off the train a stop or two early and build it up.

Have a look at your diet and see what you can do to help yourself. I'm currently dieting and buy 5 packs of the ainsley harriott cous cous (5 for £2 from asda) and the 100g packs of Bernard Matthews turkey chunks (£1 per pack from Asda) which I have for lunch each day along with some fruit and a low fat yogurt. Its only something like 450 calories for the lot and tastes good and filling.

As others have said make use of the exercise bike however make it enjoyable and not a chore. I'm currently back in to running but try and break it up with different types of training/targets which gives me something to aim for rather than just plodding along.

At 20 stone the first couple of stone should drop off pretty quickly which I would use as motivation to propel you in to losing the next couple of stone. Maybe treat yourself to some new clothes once you reach 17st or book a nice holiday in 12 months time and aim to be a certain weight :thumbsup:

Most of all.....Good luck! :)

6. DrWise

DrWise
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,057
    Walking, running best of all it's free

Water water water
    And calorie deficit

7. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,172
    I just dropped my calories to 1600 a day and started walking more and moved to the exercise bike. At 20st even 2000 calories will be a significant reduction. I lost 4 pounds a week for quite a long time as it is possible when we are so big. It averaged out at about 2.5 pounds a week over 2 years.

Stick with smaller more achievable goals.

I may try the 5/2 thing to shift my last 7 pounds. It is just not budging.

8. AnimalOfAnarchy

AnimalOfAnarchy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I can't really add any more than what these guys have said (which is awesome advice, by the way). I've recently started losing weight again and I've lost over half a stone and gained quite a bit of muscle. What I've been doing is weightlifting, using my bodyweight and eating less and exercising more.

Also, if it's an option, just drink water. I've started drinking nothing but water and it's helped an awful lot. I usually hate water though but I've started to get used to it now. You could drink cordial, I guess, but I prefer drinking water now.

9. ViolentReaction

ViolentReaction

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    The Weight Watchers pro points system is genius. Don't even have to pay to do it, if you have an Apple or Android phone there is an app called Ultimate Food Diary which calculates it all and keep track!

Just need a decent set of scales to track your progress. It seriously works and is easy to do once you get into it :)

10. ch1nchilla

ch1nchilla
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Buy a pedometer and a exercise ball

11. Thug

Thug
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,693
    Great advice so far so I won't repeat it.
    What I will say is that it is VERY difficult to get motivated and to stick to it.
    You don't need to spend much at all. In fact you may even save money due to eating less.

You need to change your mindset and learn about foods. For instance look for hidden sugars in breads, pasta, alcohol, sweets etc.

Try to get your wife to follow a similar program as it's FAR easier if you are both eating the same things and working with each other.

Make sure you treat yourself once a week so you don't lose heart.

12. Turb007

Turb007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +692
    find your maintenance level for calories and eat below it ..you will lose weight good luck

13. AnimalOfAnarchy

AnimalOfAnarchy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I have done pretty much this. Also, to add to the treat thing, I used to feel a little guilty whenever I bought something like chocolate or whatever. So instead, what I did was whenever I lost a pound, I put a pound coin in a tin. So if I lost two pound, I'd put £2 in the tin. If I gained, I get nothing.

However, I've started to put on muscle now and I was told it can affect my weigh-in so I decided to change it to beating my time in WOD (Workout of the Day) class or lifting a heavier weight. If I succeed, £2 goes in the tin. If I don't, nowt goes in. It's a good system I have so far. I have £21 saved!

14. deltaconnect

deltaconnect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Stop the gorging and eat less.

Maybe move around a little.

Weight will fly off