Need to know 1 more thing about the Philips 32PW9551

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Tabasco, Aug 6, 2006.

1. Tabasco

Tabasco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi,

After a ton of reading I am ready to order the Philips Hd Prepared CRT 32PW9551. Since the Tv's picture quality is equal to most LCD HD Ready Tv's, and does not suffer from things like ghosting, plus the fact that it's half the cost of a 32" LCD, and I sure want this baby. But there is one doubt.

I will use this Tv with the Xbox 360 80% of the time. I will connect it through component and set it on 720p. Now there is one VERY IMPORTANT thing I need to know. Will I receive everything in 60Hz while using my Xbox 360 on 720p or will it go back to 50hz? This is a very important matter as I have a huge problem with gaming on 50hz. I could not get the answer on Google, everybody seems to say something different.

Anyone can help me out?

Thanks!

2. _Fae_

_Fae_

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey, I have this television and used it for a few days with a friend's Xbox 360. I can't tell you without any doubt that the television won't switch to 50Hz but it doesn't seem to convert incoming HD signals at all. So 720p60 would be displayed as 720p60 not 720p50. I much preferred 1080i though which doesn't flicker much, if at all and I'm very sensitive to 50hz screens, gives me a headache.

3. grunnsat

grunnsat
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    According to Philips, the 9551 will downscale any 720p and 1080i HD signal to 576p. If it would be able to display 720p, then it could have the HD-Ready label.

4. c_j_holt

c_j_holt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    before everyone gets excited, Tabasco is in Belgium. This set is not coming to the UK. booooooooooooooo

anyway, as far as I know it has 576 visible lines so does not qualify as "HDready" but they made up "HDprepared" because it has HDMI

I would have bought it because it does not have a shot-necked tube unlike my Samsung Z409

5. _Fae_

_Fae_

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, sorry, you're absolutely right. It doesn't display the 720 lines... I meant that it doesn't convert the frequency of the signal, not that it will display the HD resolution.

That's what I get for a few beers and partying till 4 am. ;p

A thing to ponder though, is that 1080i looks profoundly different from 720p... doesn't suggest it scales it both to 576p.

6. Tabasco

Tabasco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Yes yes, I know that the Tv isn't true HD ready and only has 576 lines. The reason I want it is because you will only notice the difference with a LCD HD-Ready if you go freak out and sit 1m in front of the Tv. And ofc doesn't suffer the normal LCD problems and costs half.

The only thing that I am not certain of yet and which is keeping me from buying it is that I do not know or the Tv will use 60hz when set to 720p.

7. _Fae_

_Fae_

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Like I said, although not very clearly, is if the input is 720p60 it will display it as 60hz, if the input is 720p50 it will display it as 50hz. It doesn't rate convert the input which may be either good or bad depending on what you're playing I guess.