Need to get most out of onkyo 674e, help!

paul77

hi,

I am quite new to this and you guys really help when searching forums but I cant find the answer to my problem. I have just bought the onkyo 674e receiver but am struggling with what to connect to what here is my setup:

HDMI 1 - Sky HD
HDMI 2 - Want to leave for PS3
Component 1- Xbox 360
Component 2- Ideally want my pc here is this poss?
Component 3 - Poss DVD
S-Video - Nintendo Wii

Here are my main prohblems:

PC - I dont want to waste a hdmi slot on this, it is good enough to run hd material and graphics card has DVI out (ATI XT800 i think?). The issue is if i connect PS3 via component do i lose anything in performance (heard something about HD sound)? If not I can get a dvi to hdmi to connect my pc

Wii - It is connected via standard cable, will i improve picture by buying the component cable, the manual says my amp should convert 480i to 480p isn't this what the cable does? therefore pointless me getting it as i am seeing best results already??

I am learning quick but it is a lot to get your head round!! I want to fully utilise my setup so any guidance on where i am going wrong or what i may miss out on would be greatly appreciated

:lease:

S

scart2

I've just brought the same Onkyo model as well :)
Basically for connecting the PS3 I would use the HDMI cable instead of component.
The reason being is the HDMI cable can carry the audio signal from the PS3 to the Onkyo. So you don't need a sepearte audio cable.
Also the video quality should be better as HDMI carries a digital signal (as opposed to component which analogue).

>Wii - It is connected via standard cable, will i improve picture by buying the component cable

I've also got Wii with a component cable. It should give better picture, however at the moment I get some funny flashing when it passes through the Onkyo (coming out as HDMI). Not sure what it's happening. So your probably better off sticking with the standard connector.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom