Need to Format drive for my Dlink 323 NAS

gken74

Guys,

I've got a Dlink DNS-323 NAS and I've got 2 x 2TB harddrives that I need to reformat so that I can use them in the NAS.

From what I've read the Dlink 323 is Linux based so the format type is EXT2/EXT3 and I've tried formatting my 2 hard drives using GParted format software but when I put them into my 323 and I run the Easy Search Utility it doesn't detect my NAS?

I've also tried leaving the harddrives unformatted so that the NAS will format them but again nothing happens when I run the Dlink Easy Search Utility, my Nas is not detected by my laptop.

I've held in the reset button on the back of the NAS to reset it but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

Is anyone able to give me any pointers as at the moment I'm stuck with a Nas and 2 x 2TB drives that are useless.

Cheers
Gary

themediaman

So you cant even get on to the NAS interface....................?

Check its IP address...........?

Does the NAS come with a setup utility, I assume that the easy search utility is it..........

joelk is stating the obvious, but worth a check...........

gken74

you've got it plugged into the network right?

Yes it's plugged onto my Router

So you cant even get on to the NAS interface....................?

Check its IP address...........?

Does the NAS come with a setup utility, I assume that the easy search utility is it..........

joelk is stating the obvious, but worth a check...........

No, I use the Easy Search Utilty program which should find the NAS, default IP 192.168.0.032 iirc but it doesn't find the model so no IP address.

I've checked all the obvious things I can think of, I'm ready to :suicide:

themediaman

If its plugged in to your network/router it will have an IP.............

Check your router interface, it will list the device's there and their IP addresses..........

maf1970

From Quick start guide -

When first powered on, during the initial boot sequence, the
DNS-323 will wait to be assigned an IP address via DHCP. If it does not receive a DHCP assigned IP address, by default it will boot up with a self-assigned IP address of 192.168.0.32.

Once you are able to see the NAS I would also check the firmware as you will need the latest available(v1.08) to be able to use 2Tb drives.

joelk2

Distinguished Member
log onto your router, there should be a page showing everything which is connected.

if it has been given an ip address by DHCP then it will follow the same lines as your router. (on mine its 192.168.1.xx)

themediaman

From Quick start guide -

When first powered on, during the initial boot sequence, the
DNS-323 will wait to be assigned an IP address via DHCP. If it does not receive a DHCP assigned IP address, by default it will boot up with a self-assigned IP address of 192.168.0.32.

Once you are able to see the NAS I would also check the firmware as you will need the latest available(v1.08) to be able to use 2Tb drives.

Its safe to assume the DHCP server of your router is functioning and has assigned the NAS with an address, this can also be confirmed by the failure to log in to the NAS interface with the default 192.168.0.32.

So as mentioned, get the IP address of the NAS from your router interface, this is probably the easiest way, however you can obtain it from the network settings on a PC/Laptop connected to the network.

Can you do this.................?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung TV Launch & QN95A Neo QLED Review, plus Film & TV news & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom