• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

need to format a 2.5 laptop hard drive into fat 32 how?

shoemaker666

Distinguished Member
i have a 500GB hard drive out of my broken ps3 that i want to sell how do i go about formating it into fat32 to erase all my data?

i have a laptop running windows 7 and a desktop running XP to do this with.

Jeroen1000

Established Member
A simple format does *not* erase your data beyond recovery. Personally, I use this [email protected] Kill Disk Hard Drive Eraser. Low Level Format. and this East-Tec DisposeSecure - Securely erase disk drives

After erasing it you may still format the drive as you wish. Some of these tools provide the option for this after erasing the drive.

I assume the PS3's hard drive is sata? You should connect it to a free sata port in your computer and then use a tool (see the links) to securely erase it. The tools I use are bootable disc's (they do have a gui)but there are tools that do the job in Windows also.

If you don't care about anyone recovering your data, you can just format it.
Which version of Windows XP are you running (home or pro)?

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom