need to find cheap good AVR for only two speakers

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by the_stalker, Aug 19, 2012.

1. the_stalker

the_stalker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi

My Pop want some sort receiver to drive two loudspeakers they got for the TV and FM radio.

At the moment they got old receiver (not sure what but I think it was for old music player) - That got stereo input (from the TV) and also they can play FM through FM Arial but he have to get up and change vol, etc because it that old and it don't used controller.

What he want it something to drive the two speakers they got so they can use controller to change vol, etc. And it for the 50" TV they got (as they hate the small speaker on the TV) and also they got sky HD and DVD/HDD rec as well old VCR.

So I said I think the best option are AVR as it design for the TV and some came with FM as well I think.

Could any one recommend me good cheap AVR that can take FM (plus DAB if poss) as well input for DVD/HDD (HDMI) sky HD (think it better to use digital Optical/Coaxial) and VCR maybe. (they're not interesting in sub and 5.1/7.1 setup)

Also it need to be friendly because they not good the with tech but I can set them up and hopefully all they need to worry how to change input and vol.

Cheers

Last edited: Aug 19, 2012
  2. bow79

bow79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    If you can live without video switching ( as it looks like you do not want surround sound) you could just get a sterio amp, Sky has radio. Or a tuner amp. You may get better sound/cheaper value that way.

3. the_stalker

the_stalker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks

Look into Stereo amp and tuner amp. Don't think it the right way as it only got red and white input for sound. But look into again anyway once he make his mind up.

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,470
    If you have/plan to have just two speakers (no problem with that plan) it makes no sense to install/purchase a 5.1 or 7.1 AVR - your then wasting a pile of cash on features you won't ever use!

A Stereo amp + Tuner or Stereo amp with integrated Tuner is your best option.

For a two speaker setup the Red + White RCA from your Source devices is ideal!

Joe

5. the_stalker

the_stalker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    As "bow79" said the same thing. Could you recommend me one of Stereo amp + Tuner and Stereo amp with integrated Tuner.

I'll take another look of their VCR/Sky HD/Sony HDD DVD recorder to see if this possible.

Thanks for the help

Cheers

6. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,470
    I’d be heading over to Richer Sounds and see what they have in the bargain section – I see a Cambridge Audio stereo amp at £79.99 and TIBO FM/DAB tuner with Remote for £119.95.

Joe

7. the_stalker

the_stalker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks for help

The FM/DAB tuner look perfect but the stereo amp got no remote which it important to them as their old stereo amp haven't got one.

As I look into stereo amp there loads amp to go for - like

DENON PMA520AE £179.95
    ONKYO A9155 £139.95
    MARANTZ PM5004 £169.95
    CAMBRIDGE AUDIOTOPAZ AM10 £169.95

Any brand I should avoid? All the list above any good? Plus they could add fm/dab tuner later and use sky HD as a radio.

8. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,470
    The spec on the 79.99 option mentions a Remote - maybe best to confirm on the Cambridge Audio website.

Any of the units you list would be ideal for what you have in mind - some may have more inputs than others if that is a long term requirement.

Joe