Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Need to choose: Samsung PS-42D4S or LG RZ-42PX11

Discussion in 'Samsung TVs Forum' started by mrtinkles, Nov 23, 2004.

1. mrtinkles

mrtinkles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Both these models look similar in spec (Samsung seems to have better inputs) and are similar in price

Anybody got an views on which is the better choice ?

Tink

2. googlybear

googlybear
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    I have the PX11 and it is a beautiful screen after around 2 weeks of use. I would go for the LG

3. Woolybully

Woolybully

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I have the Samsung and I'm happy with it,but if you do buy the Samsung make sure you switch off the DNIe (a form of digital picture processing) it is much much better without it.If you do that you won't go far wrong for the money but you won't get many reccomendations for LG's and Samsungs on here (it's the secret panny/pioneer fanclub) :D Over to you happy H ;)

4. happyh

happyh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Sorry woolybully, no response here until i see you make a post (and justify it)recommending that mrtinkles buys the samsung or lg rather than a panny at a comparable price......................

5. mrtinkles

mrtinkles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Actually the Panny is a good deal more expensive here (Ireland) - Truely bizzare and inflated pricing. If I was UK based , with the budget I have I could get the Hitachi or Panny , but alas.....

The LG seems to have something of an underground fan base (here on these forums) with a fair number of happy customers (once you set it up properly) Appreciate the responses

6. Peabo

Peabo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Panasonic PWD6 is not in the same price range as the Samsung or LG, the Panasonic will sell for a minimun of £1500 with just a scart socket, no speakers, no stand. The LG and Samsung come fully loaded with speakers, stand and a wealth of connections for under £1500. The Panasonic will cost over £2000 when fully kitted out to the same levels of either of these sets.

I have a Samsung PS42V4SX (same as the 42D but with no VGA out) which cost me £1500 and am pleased with what I got for that price. The banding problem is only apparent with fast scrolling images and otherwise, the picture is excellent. Also, after owning the set for more than 2 weeks, the banding problem has significantly reduced - not sure why but maybe the set needs time to 'settle' as people say. I also accessed the service menu and turned peaking and peaking filter to 0 to totally eliminate some 'white edges' on sky digital via RGB scart.

HappyH, your reviews themselves are very misleading, you claim that the picture quality is awful without being specific at all. What you had a problem with was banding which as far as I can see is the ONLY thing anyone could have a problem with on this set. Through component, the PQ is excellent - DVDs look especially vibrant with extremely solid blacks. I haven't even tried DVI yet which I'm sure is even better.

if you can stretch to £2000+ then of course I would reccomend the Panasonic, but both these sets are great deals for the price!

7. block

block

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Mrtinkles how much are the Samsung and LG?
    I'm thinking of getting a plasma too and the dealer really pushed me towards a Pio 434 for €5000 including a dvd recorder but there was a panny 6 series (don't know the exact model) for €2500 I think.
    They were closing and I ended with a quick demo of the pio but I'll be back to them hopefully this week if thats any help to you.

Oh yeah hi all, nice forums by the way :hiya:

8. happyh

happyh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Peabo,
    I'm glad that your'e happy with the Samsung.
    But when I had the same model I spent ages messing with the settings, without success, trying to get a natural, watchable image. And if I got close I had to do it again when switching to different sky channels or dvd.
    Since I swapped it for the Panny I have only set the thing once and now just enjoy viewing.
    It is , of course, only my opinion but the two sets are not in the same league PQwise.

happyh

PS. Actually it's also the opinion of the several Pros who contribute here. But what do they know?

9. jaguar

jaguar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    @Block

5000 Euro's for the 434 seems like too much to me
    Recently a dealer made me an offer for 4500 including speakers and a wallmount.

10. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    What's secret about it? Unfortunately these 2 manufacturers have estabished a clear lead in the plasma field. The Koreans trail with second hand technology. Nonetheless, if it's as far as the budget stretches, it's what you do. As to all the standard connections, TV tuners and speakers, I have none of these in my system, or the ones I build for customers. The idea is to have one connection at the screen. Then you need only 1 connection, choosing your other components to achieve this, along with sound to match your new large screen. That's why the PW6/7 has such a loyal following. Particularly with the 6, you need no other parts but a wall mount to proceed with this kind of plan. If all you want is a TV replacement to stick on a table in the corner in the same old way, then these 2 offer value for money. But plasma technology gives you the opportunity for a complete re-think. Get the picture on the wall, discreetly wire in surround sound, integrate your web browsing, save space. And personally I hate the speakers on the side of plasmas, looking like a couple of giant ears.

11. Peabo

Peabo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, that's cool. I never said the Samsung is better quality than the Panasonic, I know it isn't. My point was that the reason they are in different leagues with regards to PQ is that they are also in different leagues with regards to price point.

12. mrtinkles

mrtinkles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My first choice would be the Panny, Pioneer or even Hitachi, however these are outside the budget (Irish Prices for these sets start around 3,500 Euro for a basic model)

The LG is 2,700 and the Samsung is roughly the same.

I do put a lot of value in the connectivity as well as Picture, and the LG/Samsung come fully kitted out unlike the others.

The RX11 seems to have made significant improvements in PQ over older models

13. Woolybully

Woolybully

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    happyh. Of course I can't reccomend the Samsung over the Panny,If I could afford it I would have bought a Panny myself but the truth is the panny (Viera) was nearly £1000 more than the Samsung and this was considerably out of my (and I suspect many others) reach so you go for what you can afford. Given the choice of Samsung,Techwood etc I went for the best known brand and in all honesty it really is not as bad as you paint infact I would say in most cases it is very good. I know this was not the case with you,maybe there was a problem with yours,who knows? but I really can't come on here and say "Don't buy a Samsung" when,like I said "for the money" you won't go far wrong.
    By the way the family are currently watching "Futurama" and the picture looks stunning. Happy Viewing!

14. bigtruth

bigtruth
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know a lot of people will probably bite my head off, but I will still say this, Panny is over rated screen, the quality we all talk about is at most 10% better than LG, I am yet to see a perfect plasma,it all depends on what you want in a telly or what you intends to use the screen for, I am not willing to pay £1000 (including the bits and bobs) for 10% diffefence in PQ.
    It is a simple fact that the suppliers and retailers will make more money from selling panny because of the kits you need to put it together, all-in-one plasma will probably never be good enough for retailers, as for the fans of panny, I say its a good plasma but the difference between this screen and LG or Samsung does not justify the price difference. LG is a complete unit, once you get it home plug it in and off you go.

15. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    You are of course right. There is little money to be made on plasma sales, generally a mail order co. makes more on the wall mount than the screen. But the reason I recommend other makes than Samsung and LG is because their customer service fits in with the budget price, as well as PQ etc. Also, (not being a mail order or even a conventional shop) I find my customers don't want just a telly, they'd choose and buy that themselves without my help. They want a total home entertainment experience, and most certainly no interest at all in a crappy analogue tuner, or ugly side speakers, or indeed in stereo sound, apart from the odd bit of music perhaps. So it's not just profit driven, it's demand driven. We can't build this kind of system around a TV plasma at all, I don't sell Vieras, XDE Pioneers, or anything else of that nature. Too clunky on the remote side, frequently no RS232 control codes, etc. We have to deal with manufacturers who support their products in total, with information, software, after sales support, the whole package.