Need to change Monitor Audio C150

DGN

Hi All,

I purchased a Monitor Audio Silver Centre (5G) to accompany my RS6 Front L/R via eBay about 9/10 months ago. Fantastic sound but one of the drivers appears to now have blown despite me personally never running it excessively loud. Looking around there is no clear direction about replacing/repairing it and its a sealed box too so i decided to buy the current version new the C150 which is a 2.5 way vs the old 2 way. It is has a smaller cabinet (about an inch smaller at both ends and about the same shorter too), smaller drivers 2x 5.25" Vs 6" on the previous one. Basic specs are nearly identical but after a week of frequent use, I remain very underwhelmed by it. Don't get me wrong, it is good but noticeably weaker than the one it replaced. I have upped the level to try and compensate but it doesn't sound right. I wouldn't have thought that such a small reduction in speaker size could result in such a difference to performance, if that is indeed the issue.
My question is: Would the C350 be a better match to the RS6's (they also have 6" drivers) and hopefully have the larger (not just louder) sound stage of the previous speaker? That is assuming I can a) pony up another £200 for its larger sibling and b) move my TV a few inches higher (which is irritating as it pushes the screen a little higher than i would like.

FYI speaker are driven by Onkyo SR646 Receiver.

Any insight or thought is appreciated

Thanks

Last edited:

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Hi All,

I purchased a Monitor Audio Silver Centre (5G) to accompany my RS6 Front L/R via eBay about 9/10 months ago. Fantastic sound but one of the drivers appears to now have blown despite me personally never running it excessively loud. Looking around there is no clear direction about replacing/repairing it and its a sealed box too so i decided to buy the current version new the C150 which is a 2.5 way vs the old 2 way. It is has a smaller cabinet (about an inch smaller at both ends and about the same shorter too), smaller drivers 2x 5.25" Vs 6" on the previous one. Basic specs are nearly identical but after a week of frequent use, I remain very underwhelmed by it. Don't get me wrong, it is good but noticeably weaker than the one it replaced. I have upped the level to try and compensate but it doesn't sound right. I wouldn't have thought that such a small reduction in speaker size could result in such a difference to performance, if that is indeed the issue.
My question is: Would the C350 be a better match to the RS6's (they also have 6" drivers) and hopefully have the larger (not just louder) sound stage of the previous speaker? That is assuming I can a) pony up another £200 for its larger sibling and b) move my TV a few inches higher (which is irritating as it pushes the screen a little higher than i would like.

FYI speaker are driven by Onkyo SR646 Receiver.

Any insight or thought is appreciated

Thanks
Technically speaking it should be the better speaker with new drivers and waveguide, it´s also 2,5-way over 2-way and MA says the off-axis performance is now better for the listeners on couch sitting further on sides. On paper there is not much of difference and it would be strange that the old model would be so noticeably better. Also i assume the spot you have for it is same, so it´s not moved to poorer spot (example inside low cabinet).

Have you run AccuEQ again after connecting the new speaker? If not then do that and make sure the mic is placed on seated ear height (tripod, mic stand) with fully silent room. Also check after setup that you bump the crossover setting for Centre up to 80-100hz with speaker size "Small" naturally.

DGN

Hi, yeah same position etc. That is why I am so surprised that its as different as it is. The only difference for the moment is I am using the supplied jumper bars rather than a little bit of speaker cable to connect the two terminals. Just going to try and swap that out and see what difference it makes. I'd rather not shell out another £200 for the bigger one on top of Christmas.

DGN

ok. So jumper cables didn't help. Swapped it out for the C350 and the difference is very pronounced, Much more presence and doesn't get lost amongst the others. For anyone considering the two, I'd say hands down go for the C350 if you can afford it and if you have the room as its a bit of a beast. I think the C150 is a clear downgrade over the previous gen centre speaker. What solidified this (after the swap out was picking up my C350 in Richer Sounds, they had some Silver 200's on display and they could only be described as fairly diddy (no offence to any owners) and looked to be on par with my old bronze BR5's in terms of size. I'd say the Silver 300's are the replacements for the previous speakers RS/RX6 and onwards an the 200's (along with the C150) are a newer smaller entry level to the Silver series.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Good to hear you got there in the end, although the cost was higher. Still bit odd cause i have chatted persons who bought the C150 and they have liked it. One member got it with RX8s and couldn´t be happier. But yeah the 3-way design on C350 with large cabinet, it`s lovely for sure and personally i would always opt for the largest center channel in range.

They downsized slightly the 200 and C150 ranges cause there is naggy wifes and small rooms, so it´s easier to sell slim good looking towers. :) The Silver 300 is still step up from Silver 6 (RX6 is older and RS6 even older), comparable to Silver 8/RX8 cause of the 3-way design.

DGN

Cheers. Yeah definately odd but was night and day in this instance. It seems to integrate much better with my trusy RS6's.
I guess there is a market for the smaller setups (i fit into one of those two groups but wont say which! :D)
Thanks for the input. Now i just need to sell an ald RS-LCR and a 5th Gen Silver Centre for spares to someone who might be willing to havea go at fixing it... try and recoup a little of the costs!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs and Projectors of 2020, plus AV, TV Show & Movie News & Reviews
Top Bottom