Need to change centre speaker

barnsbury

Standard Member
Hi, I am hoping you experts can help me.

I have a Denon AVR-X2500H AV Receiver. It came with Onkyo SKSHT588 5.1.2 Dolby Atmos Speakers - SKS-HT588-B | Standard Versions | null | Onkyo - Sound Acoustics

The clarity of the speech on these speakers is pretty awful. The centre speaker is even worse than my basic 15 year old Pioneer speakers that these replaced,

have been researching changing my speaker setup but dont have a big budget and it seems most atmos speaker packages are quite expensive. So, I was wondering is it worth me just buying a new decent centre speaker? Would that solve my issues? I have found the Polk s35e to have good reviews - S35 Signature Series HOME THEATER SLIM CENTER SPEAKER Center Channel | Polk Audio

Or would I need to change the other front speakers too?

Many thanks for any advice.

Last edited:

gibbsy

You might very well notice a difference in the timbre of the front soundstage doesn't go too well. That's the chance you are going to take by introducing a different model and spec of a centre. Look to improving the position of your current centre. If it is on a shelf then bring it forward so that the front is sitting proud of the edge of the shelf.

If you have it within a cabinet then take it out and place in the open or on a unrestricted shelf. If the position is too low then angle upwards. The Onkyo speakers are pretty basic and the Denon is capable of powering far better. Perhaps that's not what you want to hear but I would save your money until you can budget to replace the full front soundstage.

barnsbury

Standard Member
You might very well notice a difference in the timbre of the front soundstage doesn't go too well. That's the chance you are going to take by introducing a different model and spec of a centre. Look to improving the position of your current centre. If it is on a shelf then bring it forward so that the front is sitting proud of the edge of the shelf.

If you have it within a cabinet then take it out and place in the open or on a unrestricted shelf. If the position is too low then angle upwards. The Onkyo speakers are pretty basic and the Denon is capable of powering far better. Perhaps that's not what you want to hear but I would save your money until you can budget to replace the full front soundstage.
Thanks Gibbsy. I think I might just have to do that. I did have a look at Polk speaker systems but couldnt find any that included a subwoofer

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Hi, I am hoping you experts can help me.

I have a Denon AVR-X2500H AV Receiver. It came with Onkyo SKSHT588 5.1.2 Dolby Atmos Speakers - SKS-HT588-B | Standard Versions | null | Onkyo - Sound Acoustics

The clarity of the speech on these speakers is pretty awful. The centre speaker is even worse than my basic 15 year old Pioneer speakers that these replaced,

have been researching changing my speaker setup but dont have a big budget and it seems most atmos speaker packages are quite expensive. So, I was wondering is it worth me just buying a new decent centre speaker? Would that solve my issues? I have found the Polk s35e to have good reviews - S35 Signature Series HOME THEATER SLIM CENTER SPEAKER Center Channel | Polk Audio

Or would I need to change the other front speakers too?

Many thanks for any advice.

If after moving the speaker to better place (higher / top and front of av-cabinet) and running Audussey setup again doesn´t help then start looking new center channel with the idea that you upgrade your front main speakers later too. That would also mean you need new upfiring speakers for Atmos if you felt the effect was worth it.

Polk is usually good option for people living in US, not in Uk cause the prices are higher! Black S35 costs 329£, S30 cost 269£. The S30 is the better one from those two from people who has heard both, AVSForum(US) has threads if you google. For comparison you can get center channel from Polk competitors (Q Acoustics 3090Ci, Monitor Audio Bronze C150, Dali Spektor Vokal etc.) under 200£ in UK! That would mean you would pick main speakers from same range next then. Do one upgrade at a time, but do that with a clear plan atleast for the front three.

You don`t need to change subwoofer or your "rear" channels when you upgrade the front three. When it`s time to change subwoofer look in to BK Electronics if you live in UK and work with tight budget (250-300£) as there is no requirements to match speakers and sub! As for the "rear" channels they are for effects and you are likely fine with them for now, that would be the last upgrade you do after new LCR and subwoofer! For upfiring speakers you can mix them from different brand if the finish and width is ok with the new main speakers.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 First Thoughts, plus TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom