• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Need to buy a drill set can you recommend me one?

milly

Hi i need to buy a drill set. I'm tired of having to wait for people to help me out. I want one that is not too expensive but still good quality and that will cover a range of jobs. I need to mount a floating shelf and drill a hole in a wall that is big enough to run a few leads through.

£65 is my max i want to spend. Would you recommend this?
Black & Decker 14.4 V Cordless Drill with 2 Batteries and Kit Box: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

Ryobi 1050w 2 Speed Impact Drill: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

Bosch PSR960 Cordless Drill/Driver: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

Draper 14.4 Volt Cordless Combi Hammer Drill with 2 Batteries and 4 Piece Value Tool Kit: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

Keep in mind as well that i need to run a television cable and aerial lead through one of these holes. I might need to buy something else with any of the above? Spending less money is of course better for me. You could recommend me something else to buy as well.

Thanks

Last edited:

larkone

Distinguished Member
The best option from the list you have given is the Ryobi for masonry work and the Bosch for light work/timber/screw driving etc. Of the re-chargeables the Bosch is probably best in the long run because there will be a longer life for spare batteries either from Bosch or after market suppliers. My Bosch drills are now 20 years old, have been used in a professional capacity (hammered!!) , they are still going strong and I have just bought new batteries for them at a very reasonable price.

milly

Thanks larkone. :) I'm glad i asked as i might have been taken in by more expensive means better.

I think i might need to buy an accessory set.

Some people have stated that the Bosch accessory tool kit might not work and some people seem to think that it does?
Bosch 30 Piece X-Line Accessory Set: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

I might take a gamble with it. If you think that it is not going to work then please let me know.

Thanks

Last edited:

roaster

If the wall is masonry, and you need a bigger hole than 16mm, and/or the wall is thick, you might need an SDS (or SDS plus, or SDS max) drill and a long masonry bit. Try toolstation.com for cheap. There may be a store near you. (Toolstation is the new Screwfix, since Screwfix sold out to B&Q). There's also hire.

milly

Thanks roaster, i asked my brother in law to find out what type of wall i have and said that the wall is masonry and he said i should get a hammer drill. He also offered to do the job that i need to get done, he is a builder but he has a very busy schedule.

I think i might buy that drill still that basic one and keep it for general jobs around the house.

Hallsy

Just recently Screwfix had a deal on a Makita 14.4V twin pack, which had a drill driver and a hammer drill, for £73. I think it's taken off the site now but worth looking in your local outlet.

Very good drills for the price. Got more go in them than the 18V JCB they replaced.

Thing to look at with 14.4V drills is they will usually have a 10mm chuck, so this is their limit unless you used a turned down shank drill. Either way, the hammer drill is easilly up to the job up to 10mm. And probably more using a turned down shank. Also 14.4V bodies tend to be smaller & lighter which can be a bonus.

For real heavy stuff it's worth just having a cheap ~1000W corded hammer drill (such as the Ryobi you linked to), or a cheap SDS if you think you'll need it. Not worth spending loads as you'll use your battery drills more often.

Screfix also had a Dewalt twin pack with corded 600W hammer drill and 12V cordless drill driver for £60. The drill driver won't have loads of go, but would be up to little drilling/screwdriving jobs.

I'd opt for the Makita pack if they still have it, and a cheap corded drill if you find you need it.

milly

So i got my drill today i bought this one and i thought it would be ok to put my shelve up, it is a floating shelve.
05062009013.jpg

I don't need to drill a massive hole or anything.

Bosch PSR960 Cordless Drill/Driver: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

I also bought these screws, i think i now bought the wrong screws.

Silverline 598484 160 Pack Wood Screws: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

I have never really used a drill before so all this is new to me.

I do have some rawplugs. However, the screws will not take and are loose. That drill only comes with one piece.
You can see what it comes with in this picture here.
http://www.onlinestore.it/images/Ferramenta/Bosch PSR 960.jpg

I hope i can get away doing this job with this drill. I would like to complete it myself but i have stopped now as i was messing my wall up. I don't know what that light line in that picture.

05062009012.jpg

What do i need to buy to complete this job, i would prefer not to buy another drill. If i can get stuff from amazon i will get it delivered tomorrow using prime express delivery.

Thanks

Last edited:

27neth

Distinguished Member
There is nothing wrong with the drill. You would need say a 7mm masonry bit, 2 inch 10's or 3' 10's screws and brown wall plugs.
How does the shelf fit to the wall? a metal bracket with poles coming out which the shelf slides over? If it is this type of fixing, screws and plugs dont work very well, you would be better off using threaded bar and resin.

John..

milly

Thank you 27neth, i will look for those things you suggested.

The bracket looks like this and then the shelve just slots in.
holder.jpg

If this was about computers i would know something but DIY i'm just starting out, thanks for your help.

27neth

Distinguished Member
i will find some links for the items you need and post them here.:thumbsup:
That screw your using looks far to small.
John..

27neth

Distinguished Member
ttp://www.screwfix.com/prods/16221/Screws/Interior-Wood-Screws/Goldscrews/Goldscrew-Countersunk-5-70mm-Pack-of-100

Screws...:thumbsup:

John...

27neth

Distinguished Member
You mean the washers :D It depends how big the hole is in the bracket. The screws i posted a link to have a large head so should not be needed. If the hole in the bracket is larger than the screw head you will need to use the washers

John..

SparksCW

Wow did you try to drill holes in brick using a screwdriver bit? :D

A few things...

That shelf will fix up securely using red rawl plugs and 2 inch screws quite happily (depending what you plan to put on it and quality of the fixing). You'd need some red rawl plugs and a 5.5 drill bit. You can of course use brown plugs and bigger screws if you wish.

I would get some washers if I were you... best off popping over to B&Q or homebase to get the plugs and screws, they usually have plugs complete with a drill bit for a couple quid extra.

Also, that drill isn't really ideal! Drilling into masonary requires a hammer drill which your Bosch is not. If the walls are soft then it may well drill in ok but if the walls are half-decent you'll struggle without hammer action!

Don't forget a spirit level to make sure the whole thing is level!

Offer the frame up to the wall, place level on top and level it out, use a pencil to mark all the holes, then drill them using a 5.5 drill bit (or 7 if using brown plugs) then put rawl plugs into the wall (should be quite tight may require tapping in with a hammer) next put the frame back on the wall and screw in the screws with washers on, double check its still level before screwing up tight... then place the shelf onto the frame.

Hope that helps. If in doubt, don't be scared to ask for help and get them to talk you through it so you know for future :smashin:

milly

27neth thanks again. :)

SparksCW yes i did try and use the drill with what is the screwdriver bit. :oops: I was unsure a bit about what i actually bought. I bought all the parts that 27neth recommended for me. I hope I have no more trouble finishing the job when i get the parts on Monday.

My dad was a bit worried when he saw my new drill yesterday. He thought i was going to try and do my tv job myself and he said my tv is going to end up on the floor smashed up lol. Two people are needed for that job and a better drill is needed so i won't be attempting that job just yet.

norty mart

Two people are needed for that job and a better drill is needed so i won't be attempting that job just yet.

Plenty of people here have mounted big screens on their own. ;)

Don't you have a B&Q or Wickes store near you?

...everything you need under one roof and plenty of people to advise you on what you need - one trip and you'd have had everything you to do the job on day one.
Internet shopping is ace but falls way below a good old fashioned trip to a store in situations like this. :smashin:

They've usually got some kind of in-store clearance offers on so you can pick up decent tools at well below their RRP too.:clap:

Hallsy

Milly - fair play to you for having a go with little experience, we all have to start somehwere!!

However, you haven't really taken the advice on board.

That 9.6V Bosch drill you have bought is only really suitable for light drilling in wood/steel, or screwdriving.

For masonary you really want a hammer drill and at least 12/14.4V, or better still a corded power drill 600-1000W. Seeing as the drill you bought cost very little, I'd advise you to buy the power drill you linked to as well (Ryobi). Then you can use that for tha masonary and heavier drilling jobs, and use your Bosch for light drilling, and winding the screws in :)

As has been said, you need some specific masonary bits for drilling into masonary, and wall plugs.

If you buy a masonary drill set (say 3-10mm), and a set of mixed wall plugs you should be OK. Just match the screws up to the wall plugs, and use a masonary bit that is meant for that plug (usually the o/d of the plug).

If you intend to mount your TV you will likely need a meatier drill as I've suggested. Minimum holes you will be drilling would be around 10mm, possible even 12 or 14mm. So you'll need a specific drill bit and a drill with a chuck big enough, which your Bosch won't have. Most power drills have 13mm chucks, which should be fine for masonary bits a little larger than that as the shank is usually thinner than the head.

I would advice having someone around to help you if you've not done anything like this before. Or at least practice in some old bricks/garage wall first, just making sure you can drill where you want to and get a good hold with your wall plugs/screws.

:)

milly

I would struggle to lift a tv of that size up that high and position it in the brackets. I wouldn't like to take a risk with it. It is too much of a gamble for me.

Hallsy i started to doubt what type of wall i had. I had a look in my cupboard that is also a small part of that whole wall and the materials used didn't actually look like it was masonry. This is why i bought that drill. I thought i might be ok.
I had a look at some pictures on google of masonry bricks to compare. Mine has the same feel throughout my wall as the materials that you see in this picture. May be the other parts is using different materials though.

DSCF0835.JPG

DSCF0837.JPG

With those added bits i bought you think i still won't have much luck? I will give it a go on a spot that is hidden with those new parts i bought and see where i go from there. I only intend to do odd jobs around the house.
Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

Hallsy

They look like breeze blocks, which aren't too bad to drill into.

If they are thermalite they will drill very easilly (you could use a normall HSS bit with non hammer drill), if they are the harder type of breeze block you will need hammer action & masonary bit ideally, but for small holes you will probably be OK with a non hammer drill.

Also, you should always use masonary drill in masonary, even if soft as it will very quickly blunt a normal HSS drill bit.

They are both easier to drill than say house bricks or concrete. Masonary really refers to a number of materials that may be present in a solid wall, plaster, concrete, house brick, mortar, block work.

If you drill a small pilot hole (advisable anyway for accuracy) you may be OK just going up through the drill sizes a bit at a time, but I'd still stand by what I said about bigger holes than say 6mm. You'll ideally need a 14.4V or larger hammer drill, or a corded power drill.

As I say, your Bosch will come in very handy for small drilling jobs and screw driving, but I would still invest in a larger drill for bigger jobs. Best bet would be a cheap power drill if you don't think it will get much use, £30 will get you something adequate.

milly

Thank you, the amazon page states that this drill can handle breeze blocks. However, as you say this is only a cheap drill. If i don't get much joy on Monday then i will most likely get a more powerful drill.
Thanks

Last edited:

27neth

Distinguished Member
Hi Milly,
Your drill should work okay on the blockwork, it just wont drill quickly :D
I advised using larger screws and plugs as i have 4 floating shelves in my house and if you put any weight on the shelf at all they will sag using small screws.
I Used 3 inch screws and a tube of gripfill. I pumped the gripfill into the holes in the shelf where the tubes slide in. Then propped the shelf up level and left for 24 hours. If you didnt ose the gripfill the shelf seemed to slope downwards when you fixed it to the bracket...

John

Attachments

• IMG_0596.jpg
    IMG_0596.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 85

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom