• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Need to buy a cordless Skype and landline phone....

Nats9999

Standard Member
i have just started looking into skype and realise that i may also be able to replace my very expensive BT phone line with skype. however there are a lot of phones on the market and am not sure which is the best. We are 2 people who work from home. Ideally with PC switched off? not sure how this works exactly but also happy to use my pc during the day too. i mainly use a PC and dont mind calling from it but other half or sometimes be nice to have just skype phone. really need to cancel bt if possible as bills so high. mainly daytime and mobile calls. Came accross some cheap phones on ebay with various prices but not sure which is best/difference. anyone who can point me would be great. thanks!!!:lease:
really appreciate any help!!!
http://shop.ebay.co.uk/items/_W0QQ_nkwZskypeQ20cordlessQ20phoneQQ_armrsZ1QQ_fromZR40QQ_mdoZ

Last edited:

Andy98765

Distinguished Member
What very expensive BT phone line at £10.50 per month so if you stop that how are you going to get your broadband or are you on cable. I looked into Skype ages ago and it is not that cheap. I found BT Anytime package suited me, pay a monthly fee and make as many calls as I want when I want to landlines. Even the likes of Tiscali in my opinion is better than skype and a match for BT.
Basically if you have Broadband by ADSL you need a BT line.

Nats9999

Standard Member
read in a previous thread that if you have the BT hub (modem) on then you dont need the PC on.
I have read that a lot of people are getting cheaper phone calls - plus was going to convert all my friends and family to it!!!
2- with virgin's fibre optic new line do you still need to have bt then?
What very expensive BT phone line at £10.50 per month so if you stop that how are you going to get your broadband or are you on cable. I looked into Skype ages ago and it is not that cheap. I found BT Anytime package suited me, pay a monthly fee and make as many calls as I want when I want. Even the likes of Tiscali in my opinion is better than skype and a match for BT.
Basically if you have Broadband by ADSL you need a BT line.

Last edited:

Andy98765

Distinguished Member
"read in a previous thread that if you have the BT hub (modem) on then you dont need the PC on", correct, but you still need a BT line and it is NOT Skype.
I use the anytime plan Choose your BT Calling Plan – and get free Weekend calls! and even 0870 & 0845 numbers are free at a cost of £15.13 per month. Tiscali and others like Sky do similar plans.
One main reason I gave up Skype was the quality, it was terrible.
I also have a Hub phone from BT and call most of the world for 1.2p a minute.

I think you need to look into things a bit more before you slate off BT the packages are there if you use the phone a lot, just choose one that suits you or move to another supplier.

If you get cable and do not want a BT line you need to move EVERYTHING over to cable and connect nothing to BT.

Nats9999

Standard Member
Thank you for your response. not sure that i was slating BT but they do add a lot of extras on our phone bill even if i do regularly shop around.
ok so what you are saying is still need a BT line if it is a hub? sorry am not very technical . will call them and or virgin too. i know that when skype first came out the quality was terrible but apparently according to friends of mine this has now improved a hell of a lot. maybe someone here could give me some feedback on this. thanks in advance. will do some testing of skype before i consider moving anything though. thanks in advance. Please be patient with me!!!

I read in another post the following:

Originally Posted by God's Toy
http://accessories.skype.com/servlet...uctID=78051200

Best Skype phone ever! (so I say anyway)

No Computer needed at all just plug into your router and go.
(*also does land line calling too)

The one Binning posted http://www.ebuyer.com/product/125316 doesn't need a pc either and is cheaper, works very well too

if you have a router which i believe you get with any internet connection does this therefore mean you can bypass having a normal phone line ??? sorry Andy if am pestering you with this but am not very technical but trying to understand it all . thanks!

"read in a previous thread that if you have the BT hub (modem) on then you dont need the PC on", correct, but you still need a BT line and it is NOT Skype.
I use the anytime plan Choose your BT Calling Plan – and get free Weekend calls! and even 0870 & 0845 numbers are free at a cost of £15.13 per month. Tiscali and others like Sky do similar plans.
One main reason I gave up Skype was the quality, it was terrible.
I also have a Hub phone from BT and call most of the world for 1.2p a minute.

I think you need to look into things a bit more before you slate off BT the packages are there if you use the phone a lot, just choose one that suits you or move to another supplier.

If you get cable and do not want a BT line you need to move EVERYTHING over to cable and connect nothing to BT.

Last edited:

Cable Monkey

Prominent Member

Do you work for BT or something? I think you are being just a touch over sensitive, and trust me, no service provider is above recrimination. When BT place the onus on you to find those cheap packages then perhaps any implied criticism is deserved. ;)

Discombobulate

Distinguished Member
Thank you for your response. not sure that i was slating BT but they do add a lot of extras on our phone bill even if i do regularly shop around.
ok so what you are saying is still need a BT line if it is a hub? sorry am not very technical . will call them and or virgin too. i know that when skype first came out the quality was terrible but apparently according to friends of mine this has now improved a hell of a lot. maybe someone here could give me some feedback on this. thanks in advance. will do some testing of skype before i consider moving anything though. thanks in advance. Please be patient with me!!!

I read in another post the following:

Originally Posted by God's Toy
http://accessories.skype.com/servlet...uctID=78051200

Best Skype phone ever! (so I say anyway)

No Computer needed at all just plug into your router and go.
(*also does land line calling too)

The one Binning posted Communications - Internet Phones - Adapters - Ebuyer doesn't need a pc either and is cheaper, works very well too

if you have a router which i believe you get with any internet connection does this therefore mean you can bypass having a normal phone line ??? sorry Andy if am pestering you with this but am not very technical but trying to understand it all . thanks!

Both links no longer work.

Andy98765

Distinguished Member
Do you work for BT or something? I think you are being just a touch over sensitive, and trust me, no service provider is above recrimination. When BT place the onus on you to find those cheap packages then perhaps any implied criticism is deserved. ;)

Do you work for BT or something? No!
I think you are being just a touch over sensitive, and trust me, no service provider is above recrimination. I Agree!
When BT place the onus on you to find those cheap packages then perhaps any implied criticism is deserved. It is consumer choice, at least they lay it out in the many leaflets that are sent out with bills, it is just that people never read them or think there is a major catch?

Cable Monkey

Prominent Member
Do you work for BT or something? No!
I think you are being just a touch over sensitive, and trust me, no service provider is above recrimination. I Agree!
When BT place the onus on you to find those cheap packages then perhaps any implied criticism is deserved. It is consumer choice, at least they lay it out in the many leaflets that are sent out with bills, it is just that people never read them or think there is a major catch?

Well countered! I still think BT could work harder to keep existing customers informed about potential savings. However I accept that those motivated enough can find the information. Easier to call up the competition half the time though!:D

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom