1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need to buy a CHEAP screen or two...

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Desticado, Feb 2, 2005.

1. Desticado

Desticado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi folks.

long time since i've been around here as i've been out of the AV loop for a while but this site is always 'the' place to come to for advice so here goes.

Im looking to buy a couple of plasma screens (about 42-46") for in my shop/office. Picture quality doesnt have to be fantastic but likewise I dont want complete crud. Both these will probably be on for about 10hrs per day or more running slideshows and graphics demos of PC software.

My innitial thoughts were for a couple of the cheap Tiny systems but having read some of the recent postings here onthem im thinking again. Looking increasingly like a pair of PW6/7's but thought Id ask around here first as you guys usually know best.

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Cant go wrong with a coupleof pannys, have you considered the NEC VR5? As you are in the area take a trip to AV-sales (near tunbridge wells) take a laptop with some similar garphics and have a look at the Panny PWD7, PHD7 and the NEC VR5

3. Desticado

Desticado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks Horny.

I've not really done any research on this as my criteria are pretty straight forward... Cheap and Reliable.

Do AV-Sales charge the same rates in store as on their site? Im in kent so Tonbridge Wells is quite easy for me to go along to.

Thanks for the tip.

4. Roswell

Roswell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Computer graphics would look better and be more readable on a 1024 768 screen but you don't need clever video handling so you don't need to pay for a top quality screen. Viewing mainly PC graphics, I'd think you're likely to suffer from screen burn on a plasma. Have you thought about a projector? Some are bright enough to work fine in a room without needing to block the windows and also are easily portable for dems elsewhere. Much bigger display too, so more people can easily see what is being shown. I saw one advertised the other day that even compensated for the colour of the wall which sounded useful for mobile use.

5. Desticado

Desticado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    thanks for the advice Roswell but I want these for in a shop/office.

one will go in the window (typically running some powerpoint stuff) and the other on the wall/desk for IT use/demo.

Hence a Projector really isnt appropiate in this circumstance.

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    no idea mate give them a call (i hope not........) they have the PWD7 PHD7 and NEC VR5 on demo so i would take a look....the 37" Sharp LCD monitor is also worth a look but PAnny are pretty indestructable when it comes to burn in....