Need to 'boost' signal strength from my Router, any help?

macca166

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have had a Netgear WGR614v3 wireless router for about 2 years now and never had any problems using it with mylaptop, but I have recently purchased a wireless networking card for my Xbox 360 and this is when the signal strength went.

The problem that I have is that I live in a bungalow, and my router could not be any further away from the xbox. The xbox connects to the internet fine but the strength is not very good and game play can be a bit hit and miss.

Is there anyway that I can boost the signal strength (either with buying more hardware or just by trying different settings) from the router to the xbox without moving either of them?

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks

Personally I gave up and used a pair of 200 Mbps Homeplugs attached to the router at one end and the Console at the other. I have exactly the same issues as you and this solved it. Cost < £100 for a pair.

Best of luck.

Nick

had a feeling that was going to be the case :( was hopeful that there was a solution somewhere.

Well, my two pence worth would be as follows:

1. In your router's setup pages, cycle through all of the different wireless channels, from the lowest to to the highest, checking the signal at the xbox after each change. You should find that at least one or two of the channels give a better signal - choose the best one, and voila!
  2. If you have tried all the channels in 1) above, then the "last resort" may be to use powerline technology, but don't panic, it isn't expensive really, and can avoid unsightly trailing wires. I would recommend Solwise kit (Google it) and you should be able to get sorted for approximately 70 quid.
Hope this helps

Thanks Whitters, I think that might have really helped, ill have a play after.

Rob

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom