1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need tips on how to cut out a photo.

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by JiggsCasey, Aug 18, 2004.

1. JiggsCasey

JiggsCasey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I'm pulling my hair out trying to figure out how to cut a picture out of a photo and make the cutout it's own picture.

What I want to do is cut the toolbox out of this photo:

[​IMG]

I'd like to use it as an intro to this website: http://petesplunderantiques.com.

I'm learning HTML as I go...but that's another story.

Anyhow, I have Adobe Photoshop, Paintshop and Micosoft photo editor. I've read the instructions for each, but I still can't figure it out. Adobe is extremely confusing. Paintshop isn't much easier. I do know how to cut out with the MS product, but I can't seem to put it on anything other than another photo or white background...as you can see.

Is what I'm asking impossible? Is it easy enough to describe in a simple A/B/C style? If so, please help.

2. Peakoverload

Peakoverload

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +177
    Do you mean like this?

Click Here

All I did was to use the Polygonal Lasso Tool in Photoshop to draw around the toolbox and then cut it out (ctrl+x) and pasted into a new document with a white background.

This was really quick and dirty to see if this is what you meant. If you do it for real you may want to feather your selection by a couple of pixels and you may also want to use the clone tool to draw back some of the box that was covered up by the shadow of the border in your original image.

3. big@l

big@l

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There is no need to crop the picture. Make the background transparent. In Paintshop go to help and search for "Making a Palette Color Transparent" and it will give you step by step instructions.

HTH