Question Need suggestions on replacing aged AV Preamp in reference system

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by robc57, May 17, 2018.

1. robc57

robc57

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Originally bought system in 98. Had Proceed amps, processor and transport with Transparent cables and B&W Nautilus speakers in a 5.1 config. The transport died and I replaced it with an Oppo 105, then the main amp puked and I replaced it with a Classe 2-channel, the 3-channel Proceed bit it about 9 months ago and I picked up an Emotiva gen3. Now me thinks the AV Processor is on its way out too; poor vocal audio and clipping the sub when playing video audio (not discreet music though).
    So ... any suggestions for a replacement AV processor that is also very good at music? I want to stay in the $2500 range, but will move a little if needed. I am staying 5.1 for now, but might add more speakers later (maybe 7.1 or 7.2). Primary use is watching movies, but like to put on a CD or album once in awhile, and things tend to get loud at that point.
    Have been looking at Anthem, Emotiva, and Marantz, but there are so many contestants out there I was hoping for ideas. New unit MUST have balanced outputs for at least the mains and center.

2. BobbyMac

BobbyMac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +823
    Can't you try your Oppo 105 as a processor as a point of reference from your old Pre?

3. meep

meep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +114
    My next purchase will likely be a Marantz 8805 (or the next gen, though that one is not out too long)

I say this based on my experience with my current SR7010 receiver. I've run various comparisons between it and power amps and stereo pres and it's held up incredible well in all cases. I can only imagine that the 8805 will be that, plus more.

Of course, there are those who argue that there's better room corection out there but better the devil you know, as they say.

I'd also strongly consider the Primare SP33, based on past experience with Primare, I like the styling and the sound. At around £4K, it's outside your stated budget though, and mine :-(