1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need suggestions for new rechargeable battery brand and charger

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by mirthle, Sep 14, 2005.

1. mirthle

mirthle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought myself 2 sets of Uniross Ni-Mh batteries at two different times, from different shops.

They are quite high capacity 1700mAh. If they are charged and then used they work fine. However, if they are charged and stored for only a week (outside of the camera), they are unable to even power a camera on :mad:

The amount of leakage current in these things is awful. I am making sure that they are being stored outside of the camera in a cool, dry place (desk draw).

I am using the supplied Uniross charger. Its the basic unit that has a timer to stop charging. Although, if you leave the batteries in when it is supposedly not charging they are always red hot to the touch.

I want a charger that can tell when to stop charging a battery. I have had this make suggested to me, although I have never heard of them myself. What do you all think?

I know that I do not want to buy Uniross again...I am really displeased with these batteries, and I have never had problems in the past.

http://www.battery-force.co.uk/detail_AMAANI004B.html

2. Johndm

Johndm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Looks OK, but I suggest you look on Ebay... :smashin:

Hundreds for sale there, batts too, and much cheaper.
    As long as you get a 'smart' charger your sorted.

I got a 'BST' smart charger and 2400mah batteries for my canon 550ex flashgun.. :smashin:

And Hey......Welcome to the forums.... :hiya:

3. RobertP

RobertP
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you are looking for quality AA batteries I doubt you can beat Ansmann.

I got a couple of sets about 2 years (maybe more) ago and they are still as good as new. They feel like sticks of solid steel i.e. heavy and have the capacity they claim.

Can't remember exactly where I got them but a quick Google turned up this set - don't know the company.

4. RobertP

RobertP
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    talk about post it quick before the server dies :(

5. RobertP

RobertP
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    oops should have checked your link first! Great minds think alike....

6. hollie.weimeran

hollie.weimeran

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ansmann are highly reccomended but are quite expensive. I searched around a while ago and came up with this http://www.mymemory.co.uk/memory/Uniross/Battery/Charger/-/SPRINT/15/Minute/+/4/x/2100mAh/Batteries

I know you said you don't like the Uniross batteries you have but these batteries are brilliant. I've got them in a fuji S7000. I've just come back from 2 weeks in Greece, recharged them once (as a precaution afetr 1 weeks usage) and took approx 300 shots, including viewings etc etc.

7. mirthle

mirthle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the links :D

I don't think that I am going to give Uniross another chance. Two chances is fair enough, but if I did get another set and they proved duff I would be really kicking myself ;)

If the Ansmann are highly recommended I will just bite the bullet for the higher price and piece of mind :)

Oh, and thanks for the welcome to the forums :) I take it that your severs have been having fun today...has taken a few attempts to post this :lol:

8. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    I also recommend Ansmann. I have several sets of their batteries that are a few years old now and as already mentioned they seem to last for ages. I had a Minolta Dimage 7 digicam that is well known for eating batteries, but the Ansmann still seemed to last for a load of shots.

I got my batteries and charger from Here which was the best prices I could find at the time. I bought This charger which is supplied with 4 2200mah AA batteries (well mine were 1800mah as it is now quite old) and is great for holidays as it works in many different countries with their plugs and voltage differences.

Mark.