Need Subwoofer Budget £500

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Zerouali, May 24, 2001.

1. Zerouali

Zerouali

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I need help on buying a new Subwoofer I have a Yamaha sw-80 at the moment which I want to upgrade. I will be mostly using it for Movies.

My Setup

AV Amp : Sony DB-930
    DVD : Sony 725D
    Speakers : Front - B&W 602-S2
    : Centre - B&W CC6
    : Rear - Mission 77DS

My room is Length 6m Width 2.7m .

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Zero

2. Ken

Ken

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Ever thought of building your own? IPL Acoustics make a great kit for under £300.

3. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    in case u read the other current sub thread.....with a room that size dont go for the paradigm servo 15 whatever you do....it would sound awful!!!

for your size of room, i would suggest to you a rel strata, or maybe a q200. the q200s are great for cinema and are small too. best of all they are cheap these days. the strata is a far mroe musical device, and also has far fewer kicks....so maybe not the best choice. My best deal would have to be a Rel storm 3....these are absolutely amazing! (i like rel if u didnt notice!!!) But given your room size you woiuld have to audition one in the room to check it sounds ok. If you do so, you could get one at £550 from www.laservision.com thats a saving of £350, never bad!!! hope this helps

Adam

4. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    May wanna add Monitor Audio ASW110 to the list ...

5. torimusic

torimusic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You might want to look at the Velodyne CT range. I have a CT-120 which performs very well.

6. Dodgey

Dodgey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As Buns said, I bought a Paradigm Servo-15. £500 from Richer sounds, although I have ordered the last one in the current stock.

My room is 3M by 8M.

I'll let you know how it goes early in the week when it arrives. If is sucks I'll simply send it back so you will get an unbiased review.

7. philmate

philmate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    As Ken said in the first reply, buy and build the IPL kit, would be worth at least £7-800 pounds if bought from a shop. Easy to put together and intergrate and you can finish it any way you like. ;)
    Philmate.

8. dodgey2

dodgey2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got my Servo-15 :D :D :D

See thread "......any advice welcome" for brief review. Ask if you want to know more.

In summary, I am VERY choosy, and I LOVE IT!!

9. Mad Max

Mad Max

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For that price I went for the REL Q-100, and it sounds great... Tight controled sub !!!

Brilliant !

Rui

10. spenceruk

spenceruk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If it's of any help I have the B&W CC6 Centre and B&W 601's all round with the REL Q200E. I was persuaded to give the REL a try out by the dealer (when I was in the market for a new amp!!) and I am mighty glad I did. It is awesome and really rounds my system off nicely. Highly recommended.

11. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with Mad Max. There is no better sub on the market for 500 pounds than the REL 100E.
    It does everything a good sub is supposed to do. Apart from being great with HT, it also sings along to music very well indeed.

Eric

12. pc

pc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Check out the new K9 from the daddy of subwoofers, M&K

13. tan1415

tan1415

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi I am just a rookie.
    And i don't have that much money to splash. But what about the Yammys?
    The 800 or even the 320?
    I heard it can go pretty low and can bang with big boys(see what hifi) but just not that musical.
    Anyway if you want to play only via LFE and only use it for movies...get the sub that can go the lowest and bang the best...musicality(sorry Rel) comes distant third in importance. I guess if this is your priority than the sub can be much cheaper. It seems all the the main difference between subs of equal size in price is mainly due to the fact if they are musical or not. In my case my sub must only provide the lowgrunt for my movies...the real cinema feel.
    What do you think? Is this a good idea?

That's why for 500 quid i suggest the Servo 15. The biggest and baddest brute available.

PS what are your views on yammys any good?

14. tan1415

tan1415

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I still believe that for a sub, used only for homecinema,musicality is of secondary importance.
    But ignore my opinion on the yamahas. they are still excellent choices and you should not just ignore them when auditioning. But there's a new undisputed King of the Hill at your pricerange.

Right now the choice of a Subwoofer at 500 pounds (midrange) is easy.
    The choice is the REL Q100E... hands down.
    With it's retirement impending the price has been reduced. It's now 350 instead of 500.
    What a bargain!!! Cheaper than the old price of the Q50 and comparable to a Yamaha Yst-W-320!.

It's not often that Rel changes models and certainly not models with such a great pedigree as the Q100e.And getting them against such a reduced price ..they are a must buy. Damn if i had 1 of them already i'd take this opportunity to buy one more!! And use it in pair.(The recommended setup according to Rel)

The Servo 15 is I think still the monster of the bunch and gives the most bang for the buck. But the Q100 is NOW 150 quid cheaper. Than the choice is obvious.

My recommendation is..buy the REL Q100E.
    In a matter of fact...buy 2 of them. You will only go 200 pounds over your budget.

BTW The Q50 is also going out. And likely to be reduced in price, just haven't seen them yet. The Q100 is far superior to the Q50. But i guess the Q50 will be the ideal Sub when you want to use them in pairs pricewise.
    Getting two reduced priced Q50s if you find them will make an excellent fit for your budget.

15. mongo

mongo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I DIAGREE I THINK THE YAMS ARE AGOOD CHOICE YOU CAN PICKE EM UP FOR 200-290 IF YOU LOOK AND HAVE A GOOD YANGA AT THE LOWER RELL LOOK AT THE FQ RESPONES ON THEM??????

AND SOME

ONLY THE REL STRATA 3 IS THE NEXTED ON THE LIST AFTER THE YAM 350

I NO