• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Need Sub £300 5.1 Amp with 3 optical in

Rock_fan35

Standard Member
I'm in the market for a new receiver as the front left has gone on my ageing Harman Kardon AVR4000.

Not looking to spend more than £300 as I reckon I'll get something that sounds good to my ear for that price. Not looking to have the best setup in the world or anything.

I'm not concerned about video connectivity as my devices all have HDMI which go through a 4-1 HDMI switchbox, so really the amp will only need to handle audio.

On the audio front I'm not looking to go beyond 5.1 for the speaker count.

I need 3 optical inputs and a coax to be able to connect PS3, XBox360, SkyHD and DVD player. It would nice to get something which sounded good when playing MP3 through a connected IPOD, either through RCA or a dedicated dock.

I'm thinking the likes of the Cambridge Audio Azur from Richer Sounds would suit my needs, but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

steve

TwelveGauge-GT

Standard Member
Yup, the cambridge audio azur 540r would be pretty much as good as you're gonna get. Although, there is also the new onkyo tx-sr505 to consider.

Rock_fan35

Standard Member
Yes, had been looking at the Onkyo tx-sr505 but it only has 2 optical inputs - I'm trying to avoid using an optical switcher. I used a one before, but with patchy results.

The CA Azur 540r looks favourite just now.

steve

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom