Need specific switch with button to decide which of 2 laptops uses my dual monitors.

laforge27

Novice Member
Reaction score
I have dual monitors, each with two inputs (HDMI and DisplayPort). I have two laptops, one with two HDMI outputs and the other with two DisplayPort outputs. I have both laptops outputs connected to my dual monitors' inputs at the same time, but I have to unplug the outputs from one laptop when I want to let the other laptop use the monitors. I need a switch with four inputs (two HDMI and two DisplayPort) and two outputs (either HDMA or DisplayPort) and a button that I can press that decides which laptop is to control the monitors. I have not been successful in my online searches and figured I should post in a forum and see what advice other folks may have. I'm not looking to spend more than $150. Thanks for any help!

Why do you need to unplug the cables? Why don't the options on the monitors to switch between sources work?

I wasn't aware they had that feature. I will look closer tonight at the buttons on them. Currently I have to either shut down one laptop or unplug its monitor outputs in order to let the other laptop take over.

Why do you need to unplug the cables? Why don't the options on the monitors to switch between sources work?
Ok, so I got home and tried playing with the monitor buttons. I did find a button to switch input signals. With both laptops on, and while I was using the the laptop with the HDMI outputs, I tried switching the monitor input signal to the DisplayPorts, but my monitors just went black for a second and then came back up with the HDMI inputs engaged again. Tried doing the same with the other laptop. I shut down the HDMI laptop and then had the DisplayPort laptop showing stuff on the monitors. Restarted the HDMI laptop and then tried switching input signal from DisplayPort to HDMI, screen went black for a second, and then went back to DisplayPort. I was so hoping this would have been a super cheap and easy fix, but alas, it doesn't seem to work for me. The post was much appreciated though! Happen to have any other ideas?

Which monitors do you have ?

You would also have to configure each laptop monitor configduration correctly

You would also have to configure each laptop monitor configduration correctly
Both laptops correctly identify monitors 1 and 2. The "Multiple displays" drop down menu is set to "Extend these displays". Both are set with a landscape display orientation and a display resolution of 1920 x 1080. Is that the correct configuration?

It wouldn't surprise me if HDMI CEC is enabled, it is the work of the devil. I switch it off on every device I have...Also it is the very last resort I use for any laptop/desktop to connect to monitors, HDMI isn't really for computers other than doing a presentation. Refresh rates etc are just way too slop for desktop work.

If it was me I would unplug the lit and start from scratch.

first as above check monitor general settings and disable anything that looks like CEC.

Plug the two monitors in to one laptop (say DP) and set the monitors to their DP inputs. Set the laptop with extended display etc and make sure that all works. Ensure monitors are not set to auto detect.

Then either set the laptop to stop sending to external displays, or better unplug the two cables from the laptop or monitor.

Now connect the other (HDMI) laptop to the two displays and select the HDMI input on each monitor. Set the laptop for extended displays etc. make sure the monitors are not set to auto detect.

Now plug back in the DP cables to each monitor. Each time no change should occur in the input.

Now use the monitor controls only to change input from HDMI to DP on one monitor only.

Then do the same on the other.

All “should” be switchable from the monitors only.

report back - don’t digress tk random button pressing. Report what happens at any step it goes wrong. Reporting the end result with all plugged in and pressing buttons is really hard to diagnose from afar :)

I have think vision as dual set up as well and works fine for me changing inputs between various sources.
it depends on which model monitors you have, but from your description it sounds like you are taking 2 feeds from each laptop? You should be able to take a single feed from each and daisy-chain the monitors - much more reliable and predictable. Have a look at the back of the monitors for a DP out. There is a setting in the menu that needs to be turned on to allow the daisy-chain.

Also besides CEC there may be auto input selection on the monitor enabled. That means that if another laptop wakes up it could give the signal to the monitor to switch inputs automatically.

Lenovo ThinkVision
The ThinkVision branding just signifies the business monitor range of Lenovo (and before that IBM) and has been in use for a couple of decades.

The fact that it's doing it both ways does suggest that it might be user error so it's worth finding a model number and looking up the manual. You can often also change inputs through the monitor's on screen menu, and it might be worth pressing the select input button several times to see what it does (e.g. cycle through inputs).

Are the laptops identical models? If they are they could be misbehaving the same way, but if not then it seems unlikely.

Which monitors do you have ?
there are several think vision models which do you have

I have think vision as dual set up as well and works fine for me changing inputs between various sources.
it depends on which model monitors you have, but from your description it sounds like you are taking 2 feeds from each laptop? You should be able to take a single feed from each and daisy-chain the monitors - much more reliable and predictable. Have a look at the back of the monitors for a DP out. There is a setting in the menu that needs to be turned on to allow the daisy-chain.
yes but it hast to first be supported on the graphics card and you can only do this for Display port not HDMI, the monitor needs to support this DP 1.2 and of course you need two display port sockets... hence knowing which monitors models he has makes things somewhat easier.

Personally I think the two cable option to each monitor is far easier, especially if the monitors are auto-sensing (and he's only using one laptop at a time) otherwise the monitors need to be manually switchable, which pretty much all are.

Wow! Thank you all for your help!
I played with the input signal buttons again today and it is working like a charm, so I am going to assume there was user error on my part last night.

While you might want to have auto switch source disabled, I have found if you want an easy way to switch sources, leave it on. Then download a program that blanks the display effectively as of the machine was going to sleep. You can have a shortcut on your desktop that allows you to click on switch easier. It’s not perfect as in both machines as it might switch when one goes to sleep. However if you are flicking between often it can be a lot easier.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom