Need some TV help

Lusankya

Prominent Member
Reaction score
My old LG is on the way out it seems. Its been good but a couple of break downs and currently has some fault on start up. So it's time for a new one.

I'm abit out of the game at the moment, so need some help with new tech. OLED seems to be good but abit pricey, is it new tech?

Is HDR and 4k a different thing?

Requirements are

55" possibly larger
Stand has to be centre of the telly.
1k top whack
Mainly used for Film and TV. Some gaming but not a great deal.
Not Sony.

Are LG still better than Samsung or is all much of a muchness these days?

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

OLED seems to be good but abit pricey, is it new tech?

Yeah, it's pixels formed by individual light sources, instead of LCD which is a grid that filters the light from a single backlight.

The highlights are very good contrast and very good viewing angles. Downsides are that current models will likely dim faster with age and they can have some image retention ala plasmas, although not as severe.

It seems likely that OLED will replace LCDs once production ramps up, although Samsung are desperately trying to get viable production of their inorganic alternative (which used to be called QLED until they repurposed that for a marketing term for this year's LCDs).

Is HDR and 4k a different thing?

Completely different, they're entirely different aspects of picture quality with 4K adding more detail and HDR adding better contrast and the ability to show the more saturated colours for a more realistic picture.

Almost all HDR sources are 4K, although the reverse isn't true.

HDR reproduction is currently an expensive business there, a popular 'entry level' HDR model would be the Sony XE90 which runs to £1350 in 55". At £1k it's not something to worry about, leave it for next time around.

For those requirements I'd look at the Panasonic EX700, Samsung MU7000 and maybe LG's SJ850, although LG aren't terribly popular around here due to their lower contrast IPS panels not working as well in dimly lit home theatre setups.

For 1k I think the best option is the Sony XE85 but if it can't be Sony then I'd get a Samsung UE55MU7000. Unless wide viewing angles are important to you, in which case an LG IPS LCD is a better option.

Cheers for the replies guys. That has really helped me clear somethings up.

Angles are not important in the new house, so that helps abit.

Cheers for the replies guys. That has really helped me clear somethings up.

Angles are not important in the new house, so that helps abit.

For 1k I think the best option is the Sony XE85 but if it can't be Sony then I'd get a Samsung UE55MU7000. Unless wide viewing angles are important to you, in which case an LG IPS LCD is a better option.

Unfortunatley the 7000 is out due to the stand design, has to be a centre standing tv.

What is the difference between the MU models 6100 and upwards etc other than price?

Unfortunatley the 7000 is out due to the stand design, has to be a centre standing tv.

What is the difference between the MU models 6100 and upwards etc other than price?

I'm no expert on the Samsung TV range but I believe all models below the 55" MU7000 use a 60Hz panel (as opposed to 120Hz) and lack local dimming. Not sure at which point you get the wide colour gamut.

You should try get a 55" TV with a 120Hz VA panel. Trouble is you also need a central stand, can't go over 1k and don't like Sony.

LG LCDs use IPS panels
Samsung MU7000 doesn't have a central stand
Sony XE85 you don't like the brand
Panasonic EX700 is 60Hz
Panasonic EX750 is overbudget at £1350 (for 58")

In my opinion you should find the extra for the Panasonic EX750 (although it's overpriced) or buy the Sony which fulfills all the requirements for exactly £1K. Apart from your dislike of Sony obviously.

Just buy your own TV stand, there are so many floating about on ebay for cheap. Don't let the design of the stand dictate what you do or don't buy if it means compromising elsewhere.

What people have said already is the best advice, the best value is the Sony XE85 currently.

The Samsung MU7000 compared to it is overpriced and isn't actually as good, but for you its the next best option.

The Panasonic EX750 is your only other viable option and is vastly overpriced right now.

Or you could wait to buy and afford a much better TV as prices drop.

Just buy your own TV stand, there are so many floating about on ebay for cheap. Don't let the design of the stand dictate what you do or don't buy if it means compromising elsewhere.

What people have said already is the best advice, the best value is the Sony XE85 currently.

The Samsung MU7000 compared to it is overpriced and isn't actually as good, but for you its the next best option.

The Panasonic EX750 is your only other viable option and is vastly overpriced right now.

Or you could wait to buy and afford a much better TV as prices drop.

The TV stand is triangle shaped that is all. So it won't support a tv with feet at either end of the tv, has to be centred. There is no way I am changing it, way too cool. I love it.

When you say overpriced do you just mean its new to the market and in 6months it will be worth 500 less?

The TV stand is triangle shaped that is all. So it won't support a tv with feet at either end of the tv, has to be centred. There is no way I am changing it, way too cool. I love it.
And you can buy your own stand to fit to any TV using the vesa mounts behind the tv - you know, the same ones they use to wall mount. Just search on eBay. This is what I meant before. If you want to keep your existing furniture then just buy a desk/table top stand. I have seen them for as cheap as £7.

When you say overpriced do you just mean its new to the market and in 6months it will be worth 500 less?

I don't know why Panasonic have their models overpriced right now but they do. To make a comparison you could buy a similar spec Sony XE85 series TV at 55" and it would cost the same as the Panasonic. Plus its a better TV overall anyway. There just aren't good options at 50" or 49" this year.

As for prices, they will go down. There is a link in my signature pointing some guides I wrote, one of which is about the pricing of tv's: the best time to buy a TV.

I don't have a magic lamp unfortunately but I can assure you right now tv's will be a lot more expensive than on black friday and especially spring next year if historical pricing trends continue.

And you can buy your own stand to fit to any TV using the vesa mounts behind the tv - you know, the same ones they use to wall mount. Just search on eBay. This is what I meant before. If you want to keep your existing furniture then just buy a desk/table top stand. I have seen them for as cheap as £7.

I don't know why Panasonic have their models overpriced right now but they do. To make a comparison you could buy a similar spec Sony XE85 series TV at 55" and it would cost the same as the Panasonic. Plus its a better TV overall anyway. There just aren't good options at 50" or 49" this year.

As for prices, they will go down. There is a link in my signature pointing some guides I wrote, one of which is about the pricing of tv's: the best time to buy a TV.

I don't have a magic lamp unfortunately but I can assure you right now tv's will be a lot more expensive than on black friday and especially spring next year if historical pricing trends continue.

Ah I see about the stand. cheers for the extra info, I'll get cracking on reading those.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom