1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need some technical help about a new hard drive i just purchased

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by dUnKle, Mar 18, 2001.

1. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,324
    My old hard drive packed up yesteday morning so I went out and got a spanking new ata100 compatable drive as I have a KT7 Raid Motherboard which supports ata 100

I installed the hard drive onto ide channel number 3 ( which is the channel which according to the manual supports ata 100 ) and installed all my software.

Everything was fine and I had some impressive benchmarks for speed, however I can no longer browse the internet [​IMG]

If I connect the drive to the ata 66 channel I get much slower speed but the net works

any idea ?

2. Mattie

Mattie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dunc, is this issue still unresolved? I don't often visit this part of the board so I hadn't seen it but if you need some help please supply more details, e.g.
    OS version
    Drive details (make/model etc)
    Cable used: (40/80 conductor, flat or round)

Mattie

3. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,324
    Have tried BOTH WinME and Win98 and the problem was same in both !!

I think the reason for the problem was something to do with the fact that drives are supposed to be connected to the RAID controllers in pairs ( so to make use of the RAID functions ) and seeing as I only had the one it was causing problems.

Anyway I have decided to keep it connected to the IDE1 channel and run it ( on the correct 80 conducter cable ) as an ata 66 drive, I benchmarked it with SANDRA and the results were fantastic, much better than the next closest drive ( also ata 66 )

According to an article in this months COMPUTER BUYER ata 100 drives are not that essential as nothing uses the extra speed !