1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Some Subwoofer Set-Up Help

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by matmum, Mar 23, 2003.

1. matmum

matmum
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I have been into home cinema for a while and i have just bought a new sub and need some help to tweak the set-up to its optimum.

my system set-up:

arcam avr100
    arcam p85 power amp
    m+k s-125 center speaker
    m+k k9 surrounds
    rel strata III subwoofer
    ruark CL20 front speakers (floorstanding)

i would be very grateful is anyone had any ideas on the settings i should use to get the full bass range (i.e. correct cut-off frequencies etc. as i have no idea).

also i am not sure whether to use small or large settings for the speaker settings as i keep reading information from sites that contradict the other - i.e. setting speakers to small and sending all bass information to the sub - but then another site saying if you have larger speakers set the speaker sut-up to large.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

cheers
    matt :)

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mains- large (Ruark)

Centre and rears- Small (M&K)

Subwoofe to on.

Them M&K's can't reproduce <80hz and below, so you must set to small.

3. magking

magking
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Then connect the high level input on your Strata to the front outs to get the whole frequenzy spectrum.
    Then adjust the crossover so that your sub takes over where your fronts starts to rolloff, usually 40-60hz.
    Then adjust the level of the high and low inout seperatly on the REL.
    This is what i miss most after upgrading my REL Q400 to a Velodyne HGS18, but i guess that is a small price to pay afterall.
    ;)

4. matmum

matmum
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi - my amp wont let me select certain speaker configurations - it wont let me select large fronts and small centre and rears - only small speakers with sub or large speakers with sub - wondered what one i should use

5. matmum

matmum
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    in regards to what u have said - is this better than using the sub phono out from the av amp - as with 5.1 encoded films will the same bass information be fed through with the technique you suggested. also i am not sure what the front outs are that u mentioned - do u mean attach sub speaker cable into the power amp speaker connections.

6. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I think that magking is referring to the main speaker terminals on the amp - at least I hope so as that is where the high level connetion should be made.

Connect up via the sub outlet on the amp to the low low level phono input on sub. That is the only connection that you have to make but you can connect up the high level inputs as well as the REL Strata allows you to do this.

As always, experiment until you find what sounds best to you but with the bass management options available on your amp I would start by setting everything to small with the crossover on the amp set to maximum so that the filterering is done at the amp end.

I don't know whether you have adjustable crossovers on the amp but I wouldn't set it any higher than 80Hz if possible

7. matmum

matmum
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i dont think that i can adjust the crossover frequency with my amp (arcam avr100) - as all it seems to give you in the options are options as follows -

channel balance
    center 0db
    right 0db
    rear L 0db
    sub 0db

speaker settings
    preset 1
    main large
    center large
    surround large
    sub on

preset 2
    main large
    centre small
    surround small
    sub off

preset 3
    main small
    center small
    surrounds small
    sub on

at the moment i am using preset 3 - but i dont feel that this is the best option to use - as i have some good quality front speakers (ruark cl20's)

any help would be gratefully received

8. Noodle

Noodle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You cannot adjust the crossover freq on the AVR100. Preset 3 is also the best option for HC use and then use the high level input for music.

The AVR100's main criticism when it was launched was it's woeful lack of bass management.

Ben.

9. JonLeach

JonLeach

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Hi

Had my AVR100 sent back to ARcam for a Big loud pop when switching from DD 2.0 to 5.1, which arcam didn't sort out.

But what they did do was upgrade the firmware so you can set the sub on in stereo and the speaker options are not presets i.e. you can have large fronts small center small rears. etc.

i use all large and sub on .1 channel

Hope this helps maybe you should speak with arcama and they might update the bios

10. matmum

matmum
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi - i phoned arcam but they said i would have to buy the avr200 and that a firmware update is not available for the avr100 - also my amp makes a large pop when switching from DD 2.0 to 5.1 so i think its a fault with the design - i am not sure if i want to shell out for the avr200 as i dont think its dramatically different to the one i've got.

11. JonLeach

JonLeach

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Well i don't believe them as like i said my AVR100's speaker setup was change after it came back.

You could qoute me, and if nessacery i'll send you screen shots.

Jon