Need some speaker advice for fmj

Eddie B

Standard Member
hi guys,

this is my first thread so go easy :).. I've got an Arcam FMJ C31+P1 with Musical Fidelity source, and i'm looking to upgrade from my B&W 704 to a nice standmount around the 2-3k mark. Any suggestions would be helpful.

I've had a look at some Monitor Audio Platinum PL100's but not had a listen yet, anyone tried this combo yet?

Thanks

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
You could try the Elac 602 x-jet. They're in your price range :smashin:

www.elac.com/en/index.html

I heard them at the AVSales demo day :smashin:

They look stunning :thumbsup:
But I thought they sounded awful :thumbsdow

I happily admit to being cloth-eared when it comes to higher end stuff though.

Just a suggestion :rolleyes:

jont

Always had Arcam and B&W in various permutations - you could do worse than listen to a pair of 805's :) ... and keep a few quid

Jon

jagr

Focal sound very good off Arcam amps:

You could try a pair of these: Focal-JMlab Electra Be1007 £2300

chantrys

I'm currently running ProAc Response D25 with my fMj gear and I find them to be superb. I'd recommend them to anyone. Given that they have now been replaced by the D28, you could probably pick up a pair at a very good price.

Prior to the ProAc's I was running a pair of Quad 22L, and for their price, they are an excellent sounding speaker... very flexible with all types of music.

mac_monkey

I'm not used to speakers in your price range but I'm more than happy with my bottom of the range £650 PMC standmounts. Some PMC OB1s must be worth an audition, I've only ever heard very good things.

Mark.Yudkin

Distinguished Member
If you can go a little higher and your listening room is adequate, the Quad ESL 2805/2905 and Martin Logan Vantage would be worth auditioning.

The local Arcam importer demonstrates his FMJ range with Focal (JMLab).

Cocksure

From just having a speaker demo with my Arcam setup, I can confirm that PMC and Proac are both special with Arcam, but equally so is Dynaudio (contour s3.4).
Moniter Audio I found to be quite lacking in all honesty (only heard the GS range), but speakers really are a personal taste.

craigd

I understand that Arcam use Audivector to test their own products. I think their Mi1 Avantgarde standmount comes in at about £2.3k.

P

Palu

hi guys,

this is my first thread so go easy :).. I've got an Arcam FMJ C31+P1 with Musical Fidelity source, and i'm looking to upgrade from my B&W 704 to a nice standmount around the 2-3k mark. Any suggestions would be helpful.

I've had a look at some Monitor Audio Platinum PL100's but not had a listen yet, anyone tried this combo yet?

Thanks

Heeee Eddie,
I am using the same como C30 and P1 with FINAL FULL RANGE ELECTROSTATS. Look at the Final 600i or 400i incl a sub.
Its amazing. (www.finalsound.com)
For speakercables use the QED XT 400

Eddie B

Standard Member
Thanks guys for all your help!:thumbsup:
Had a listen to some focal 1007be and they sound bloody amazing!:).. thinking it might be worth waiting and having a listen to those Monitor Audio Platinums too, interested to see if the ribbon tweeter makes much of a difference over the normal gold tweeter.. If anyone get a chance to hear them before me, let me know what you think:smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom