Need some quick advice please.

catch'em1

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello fellow AVforums members

Sorry to post this here but I really do need a quick reply.

My Graphics card has died and I need a new one, max budget is £110.

I was thinking about the ATI 5770, any other suggestions.

I am asking because I am ordering tonight. Thanks.

that card you want is about 120: Scan.co.uk: Leading supplier of GPU - ATI

and thats with scan's free delievery for AVF members.

Does it need to be dx11?

I would avoid the 5770 it's crap unless you crossfire it.

Are you looking for a gpu for gaming?

If so I'd rather have a 4890 if it has to be ati.

Dx11 isn't needed now, and it's gonna be a long while before dx11 is very common.

I would personally go for a gtx 260, cheap and great performance. It's in between a 4870 and a 4890.

It doesn't need to be DX11

Nice advice from NVIDIA recommending me NVIDIA GPU:rotfl:

How much is the 4890?

+ I read up that 5770 matches the 4870 performance + DX11 and it uses less power and quieter.

It doesn't need to be DX11

Nice advice from NVIDIA recommending me NVIDIA GPU:rotfl:

How much is the 4890?

+ I read up that 5770 matches the 4870 performance + DX11 and it uses less power and quieter.

:D

Yes the 5770 is very good with regards to power consumption, but trust me once dx11 is common the 5770 will be garbage.

Go for a good dx10 card.

I'd up my budget by about 30 quid and get atis best dx10 single gpu the 4890.

The price of the 4890 depends on the brand, whether it's factory overclocked, if it as a better cooler etc.

Like you could get this one cheap LINK

Give me that over a 5770.

I'd rather have a high end dx10 card than a mid range dx11 card

Last edited:
Go on ebay and buy the latest and greatest -1 that someone has ditched for an upgrade?

safe to buy off ebay?

I would avoid ebay personally, infact I'd avoid buying second hand unless the price is really good.

Buy one from a reputable place, get your use out of it then shift it and get a dx11 card later on.

I'd go for this one over the scan cheapo http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-124-XF&groupid=701&catid=56&subcat=1403

Just to add a bit of confusion I'd avoid overclockers as they are a bunch of cowboys in my opinion :D but just to give you an idea of a branded card.

Or maybe if you can find a gtx275 at a similar price go for that, its better than a 4890 and depending on the games you want to play some of them are optimised for nvidia hardware.

Last edited:
I will see what I can do, Shame that DIRT 2 doesn't come with it but instead stormrise which is a really bad game.

Maybe I'm asking for too much. :D

I would avoid ebay personally, infact I'd avoid buying second hand unless the price is really good.

Buy one from a reputable place, get your use out of it then shift it and get a dx11 card later on.

Perhaps. I'm only passing on my experience where I bought a card for my lads' computer, which listed at £100 new, for £20 delivered. Arrived boxed, as new, with everything in tact and is working to this day. I'm sure there are exceptions, but likewise I'm sure there are similar experiences every day. Just be careful and check feedback.

I'd go for this one over the scan cheapo XFX ATI Radeon HD 4890 1024MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card [HD-489X-ZHFL] Graphics and Video ATI HD 4890 Series

Just to add a bit of confusion I'd avoid overclockers as they are a bunch of cowboys in my opinion :D but just to give you an idea of a branded card.

Or maybe if you can find a gtx275 at a similar price go for that, its better than a 4890 and depending on the games you want to play some of them are optimised for nvidia hardware.

Yes I have heard about overclockers and I really understand what you are saying. Found some information out last night about them such as delivery and service and policies.

I will see what I can do, Shame that DIRT 2 doesn't come with it but instead stormrise which is a really bad game.

Maybe I'm asking for too much. :D

Dirt2 is a promotion with dx11 cards, you might find a 5770 with dirt2. It all depends on the retailer

But the 4890 is a dx10 card so you'll be hard pushed to find a dx10 card with dirt2 included :)

Perhaps. I'm only passing on my experience where I bought a card for my lads' computer, which listed at £100 new, for £20 delivered. Arrived boxed, as new, with everything in tact and is working to this day. I'm sure there are exceptions, but likewise I'm sure there are similar experiences every day. Just be careful and check feedback.

Yeah I agree, you can't generalise, and I'm sure there are genuine people that sell and there are probably loads of people that have had no problem with buying over ebay.

But I just think it's nice whenever possible to buy new, have a warranty etc.

Although yes it is possible to buy second hand that still has warranty.

Yes I have heard about overclockers and I really understand what you are saying. Found some information out last night about them such as delivery and service and policies.

Yeah don't get me wrong for every person like me that slates them there'll be one that has had no problem with them.

I'm just giving you my opinion.

Whatever company you use just google them and see what sort of negative feedback they have :D

See me personally I don't give a damn about positive feedback I want to know the negatives about things and then decide.

I do it with everything, if I buy something I look at negatives as everything out there has negatives and it's just a case of what negatives I can tolerate more :D

Oh while I'm at it, a company I can recommend is ccl (CLICK ME), the best online retailer I've used. They have also won best online retailer awards :)

Last edited:
ATI 4890 it is then. Is that Scan one the cheapest one?

I'd say so yeah, you might find it for a ridiculously low price but it'll be from some random shop called Bobs PC Parts or something like that.

I had a quick search using google shopping and I couldn't find much cheaper than the scan one I linked.

It might be worth spending a little more for a branded 4890, not saying that the scan one won't be reliable but I tend to go for branded products.

Like this one LINK it's factory overclocked too so you'll get more performance and a better brand than the other one, and you still get stormrise :D

Last edited:
ok quick question, I don't have a scan account, but i do have a paypal account, will I be able to make a scan account and buy it tonight?

Thanks.

ok quick question, I don't have a scan account, but i do have a paypal account, will I be able to make a scan account and buy it tonight?

Thanks.

Scan accept paypal so yeah in theory you can create your account now and buy it :thumbsup:

I don't use paypal so not sure if scan waits for funds to clear or whether it registers as an instant payment.

I don't use paypal anymore as paypal is run by a bunch of scammers :D

As you have gathered I'm a glass is half empty kinda guy and I hate everyone :rotfl:

I've used paypal several times and am ok with it, so woo:thumbsup:, can get a graphics card tonight, hopefully.

I've used paypal several times and am ok with it, so woo:thumbsup:, can get a graphics card tonight, hopefully.

Lovely, enjoy your card, trust me you will smash most games on max settings and get 60fps.

You won't on crysis but no card out (even the 5970 which is the most powerful card out there now) can do 1080p on enthusiast with full aa at 60fps.

And gta iv is another mess of a game that isn't optimised, if not every other game you'll sail through :smashin:

I only play at 1440x900 so I should be able to get 40fps with crysis, everything high or very high. I think.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom