1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need some pj advice

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by The Sheriff, Aug 1, 2004.

1. The Sheriff

The Sheriff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Need some recommendations on a projector to buy that ideally i could get second hand for around £600.

I have bought a Philips Garbo Matchline which i'm currently trying to sell here: http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143883 for the reasons explained. Basically i need recommendations on a pj that will work well with a short throw distance (no screen door, produce a big image etc) and support pretty high resolutions fed from my pc, particulaly for gaming.

Cheers

Nick

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    struggle for £600 mate. consider Infocus 4800 and perhaps a Z1, X1???? Toshes???

3. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,955
    You're going to need something with at least XGA resolution by the sounds of things if screendoor is an issue from where you're seated - generaly with DLP you need to sit approx 1.85 times screen width away for SVGA screendoor to not be a problem except with credits for example . 2x distance is the norm.

XGA is better of course and you're looking at second hand for a DLP pj with that resolution. LCD may be affordable, but the screendoor is worse (approx 40% of the image is screendoor, it's about 12% with DLP).

So it looks like you may have to reduce the image size until you can afford a HD DLP pj unfortunately. If you have the room, a CRT will probably give you a screendoor free image, but there are other problems to consider. DILA would be better too, but they tend to be quite expensive.

Have you tried a small amount of defocussing at the lens? That can work a little before it starts to blur the image.

Gary.

4. The Sheriff

The Sheriff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I tried defocusing the image but it made it look worse, also reduced the image size but it didn't really halp a great deal and the imgae was smaller then what i was hoping for. This is all irellivant (sp?) really anyway cos the pj doesn't support the resolutions i need.

I could add a bit more money to my budget to obtain what i'm after, don't really wanna buy new though so i'm hoping to find what i need for sale on these forums if possible.

Nick