Need some out the box thinking for home automation

Discussion in 'Smart Home, Climate Control & Security Forum' started by WeegyAVLover, Oct 16, 2017.

1. WeegyAVLover

WeegyAVLover

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,729
    Ok AVF I need some advice and help.

I have done a bit of home automation with Mi-Home plugs and lights as well as with Alexa and Harmony.... all the fairly easy obvious stuff.

However I am looking for some automation ideas for my heating system but, as I am asking for help, as you can imagine things are not straight-forward.

I am looking to control my heating so (just for an example) I have the heating on in my utility room where I am drying close but nowhere else, but then at night I have the heating on in my livingroom only.... and with these options I would have a wireless thermostat that turned the boiler off when it reached a certain set temp... So far so good and all fairly standard.

Where my issue is and is a big stumbling block getting approval from management is this. I have a Victorian house and we have invested in victorian styled radiators in our main rooms (livingroom, Dining room, Master bedroom, bathroom). We have also got some very nice TRVs on them, but these are manually controlled and have no wifi or intelligence in them really. The radiators we have are in a gun metal/anthracite grey colour and the valves are a black nickel colour and look cool.

To replace these valves with the standard white modern looking wifi/smart TRVs that are widely available would look hideous and "management" would have none of it and to be fair I am not overly keen on them myself.

I am just wondering if anyone knows of any brands out there that do either black or dark grey valves that look a bit more in keeping with the style of radiator?

If not then if there are any other options for controlling the radiators on a radiator or room basis?

2. bigmac21

bigmac21
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I haven't seen any colour smart thermostats other than white, buts that's not to say they don't exist, I've never looked.
    I have Tado thermostats and Danfoss zwave thermostats. I have very rarely if at all had to control them via the thermostat itself, it's always done "remotely". So, you don't necessarily have to have the thermostat immediately accessible and visible as such.
    One very lo-tec solution therefore, may be to simply make some "jackets" to slip over the thermostats that effectively hide them. These jackets could be simple paper tube or toilet roll tubes with a cap over the top and then painted your colour of choice, or with a bit more work, a plastic jacket perhaps a spray can lid, again sprayed your colour of choice.
    Simple, but maybe cheap and effective? Blue Peter would be proud!

3. Chester

Chester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +689
    Yeah, you could use Evohome to do this, with room stats and zone valves, but it'll cost you a fortune! If you're clever with the room thermostats and pipework is hidden, you wouldn't see anything. There is a limit on the amount of zones you can have though.

Everything on show stays as it is and you simply wind your TRVs all the way open, except for controlling the heat distribution in rooms within a zone.