1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need some opinions pls...

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by milchuk, Nov 21, 2003.

1. milchuk

milchuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok here goes...

I'm almost finished building my new home and am down to the decision as to what I'm going to set up in the theatre room...I've got two setups in mind and would appreciate opinions/pros/cons of each.

First set up:

Toshiba 57-inch Cinema Series HD HDTV-Ready Television
    details can be found here: http://www.toshiba.ca/web/product.grp?lg=en&section=2&group=6&product=2090

Second set up:

Panasonic PT-AE300 High Performance Home Cinema Projector
    details can be found here: http://www.panasonic.ca/english/audiovideo/television/homecinema/ptae300.asp

Both of these systems are within my price range and am now unsure as to which way is the best way to go. Ive seen alot of rear projection televisions and know alot of people that own them, but I am not so familiar with the projectors as they have always been quite pricey and dont know anyone that has one.

My ultimate goal is to have the most impressive theatre experiance possible everytime the wife and I sit down to watch a movie or just regular TV programming.

Another important factor I believe, is that the wife is expecting. If anyone has any horror stories about children damaging either widescreen TV's or projector screens, I would definitely like to hear them as this may also be a determining factor on what setup I choose.

Thank you all in advance,

Undecided in Canada
    Matt

2. aaronjon

aaronjon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    probably avsforum.com is best place to post, as no definate hd tv system finalized over here afaik.

3. beng

beng

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Matt,

I'm no pro but I have to say there are probably a few things to consider.

Firstly, if you're looking for a true cinema-like experience then the projector is really the way to go. The AE300 has gotten mostly excellent reviews in the UK press. Several people on here will also give it a glowing review. Not 100% sure if it supports HD but I believe it does. Check on the panny website (or don't if you already know!).

Secondly, if you're expecting, little people running around won't really become a problem until they're up on their feet! But if you went for the projector on a motorized or pull down screen, that problem becomes redundant. At the same time, you could ceiling mount the projector and build the speakers into recesses away from sticky little fingers!!

The TV is big. But it's still a TV right? :p

Good luck.