Need some noob help for a semi non noon

Aspinella23

Novice Member
So I’m in the process of re setting up my home theater after we had huge huge water damage in our finished basement.

My setup Denon x4500, AudioSource Amp100vs(for the height speakers) and a Emotiva XPA-3 Gen 3(for LCR) Running 7.1.4 speakers.

My main overall question is can I and if so how and what are the proper settings to have two amps connected view pre out to the Denon.

Right now the speaker wires for LCR are connected to the XPA-3 with RCAs running to LCR preout of the Denon. And on the Denon the Pre Out is set to Front.

both sets of wire for the height speakers are connected to the Denon with RCAs going from the Amp100-vs to Height 2 of the denon. (Doesn’t seem right to me because the AMP100vs doesnt seem to be controlling anything)

Here’s where I’m getting messed up and confused. if I change the pre out to Height on the Denon and take height 2 speaker wires from the Denon and connect them to the Amp100-vs and run a test tone no sound comes out of the speakers but sound still comes out of the LCR.

what am I doing wrong I want to make sure I have everything set correctly to ensure that wicked expensive XPA-3 is actually pushing my SVS Prime Towers and Center to their full potential and the AMP 100vs is pushing two of the high speakers taking as much load off the Denon as possible Especially because that’s to insurance and the water damage I see blew SVS ultra towers, center and a pb4000 replacing my pb3000

EE9D384A-027A-4095-93C2-376FC72D7EE3.jpeg

Jester1066

Hi.....

So I fully understand the issue. You currently have the setup as follows:

Denon LCR preouts ➡️ XPA 3
(with the LCR speakers connected to the XPA) - This is correct ✅

Edit: Just saw this in your op: "both sets of wire for the height speakers are connected to the Denon....

It should be connected as follows:

Denon Height 2 preouts ➡️ "Main in" Amp100
(Via RCA's like you've done with the XPA)...

then connect your speaker wires for 2 of the height speakers (I'd go with the rear 2), directly to to amp100 - not the Denon

Also check/confirm the following:

There's also 2 sets of speaker binding posts ("A" & "B") connect both the height speakers to set "A" - using a red and black post for each speaker.

There are also 2 toggle switches, a 12v trigger and a stereo/mono.

If you are using a trigger cable to switch on the amp - Set the trigger switch to "trigger" if not set it to "Auto"

set the Stereo/mono switch to "Stereo"

On the front of the amp100 make sure you select the correct speaker output - in this case "A". Set the balance dial to the centre along with the volume dial.

Then run the test tones again.

You should hear sound from all 11 speakers.

It's also worth saying that the preouts on the Denon are constantly "live". This means you could technically use external amps for all 11 channels. This is why you still get audio through the LCR when you select height 2 as the preout in amp assign.

Edit: The remaining 2 height, surround and surround back speakers should obviously be connected to their corresponding speaker posts on the Denon.

NB: I'd also leave your preout as "Fronts" in amp assign.

Last edited:

Jester1066

If it all works after doing the above. Don't forget to then rerun Audessey too! Post back if this resolves the issue.

Aspinella23

Novice Member
So that’s where my issue comes in. When I put the height 2 speaker wires into the amp100vs nothing comes out even when I change the Denon to height for pre out This is way my brain is exploding from confusion lol

Edit the rcas are running from the amp100 main in to the Denon pre out height 2

Jester1066

So that’s where my issue comes in. When I put the height 2 speaker wires into the amp100vs nothing comes out even when I change the Denon to height for pre out This is way my brain is exploding from confusion lol
I've just worked out what it is. Connect everything up as I described in my previous reply including how you have the amp assign menu set.

Then go into the following menu:
1. Setup
2. Speakers
3. Manual Setup
4. Speaker config

Then make sure it shows this:
Front - small
Center - small
Subwoofer - 1 spk
Surround - small
Surround. Back - small
Front Height - small*
Rear Height - small*

*I bet 1 or both of these say "none"

Then back out to the test tones again and it should work!

Edit: I have the same AVR - and the eureka moment came!

Aspinella23

Novice Member
I've just worked out what it is. Connect everything up as I described in my previous reply including how you have the amp assign menu set.

Then go into the following menu:
1. Setup
2. Speakers
3. Manual Setup
4. Speaker config

Then make sure it shows this:
Front - small
Center - small
Subwoofer - 1 spk
Surround - small
Surround. Back - small
Front Height - small*
Rear Height - small*

*I bet 1 or both of these say "none"

Then back out to the test tones again and it should work!

Edit: I have the same AVR - and the eureka moment came!
I was hoping but alas all are set to small. I still need to switch the wires over to the amp100 but I wanted to check this first as well

image.jpg

Jester1066

I was hoping but alas all are set to small. I still need to switch the wires over to the amp100 but I wanted to check this first as well

View attachment 1671395
Yep that all checks out as correct 😊

Any chance you can take a picture of the back of the amp100 (once you've reinstated the 2 Rear Height speakers wires)?

Edit: and set the volume knob on the amp100 to halfway (From the pic it looks at Max! 🤣).

Balance dial should be halfway too.

Re the pic of the rear - as close up a shot as possible please!

Aspinella23

Novice Member
So I just move the speaker wires to the amp100 Verified all connections are correct even changed the pre-out on the Denon to height still nothing

EDIT Everything is hooked up correctly the only other thing I can think is that maybe the RCA is going from the AMP100 to the Denon is a bad wire
F6100604-F12B-4B9E-B4B9-A011CD790173.jpeg

Attachments

• 37638A98-61F2-48A1-BB41-D8D78D4914CE.jpeg
    37638A98-61F2-48A1-BB41-D8D78D4914CE.jpeg
    146.3 KB · Views: 8
  • A00DDFC5-EAD3-43C9-985D-1369DD1B2728.jpeg
    A00DDFC5-EAD3-43C9-985D-1369DD1B2728.jpeg
    195.4 KB · Views: 10

Jester1066

Whelp I”mmmmmmmmmm a Moron!!! Bad RCA cable swapped it out connected it back to the AMP100 and there’s sound :facepalm:
Excellent!

Now, you can rerun Audessey!

On a side note: what brand/model speakers do you have in your setup?

Aspinella23

Novice Member
Excellent!

Now, you can rerun Audessey!

On a side note: what brand/model speakers do you have in your setup?
Is it weird I always hate how everything sounds after running Audessey

SVS Prime Towers, SVS center, 4x SVS Prime satellites, 4X Polk audio in ceiling speakers for the Atmos, and SVS PB3000

Thinking about upgrading to the SVS Ultra tower and Center and the PB4000

Jester1066

Is it weird I always hate how everything sounds after running Audessey
Nope - Audessey is good, but not great. You can however tweek a basic calibration after. I'm more than happy to assist you in this. (But maybe tomorrow as its 12.40am here in the UK!
SVS Prime Towers, SVS center, 4x SVS Prime satellites, 4X Polk audio in ceiling speakers for the Atmos, and SVS PB3000

Thinking about upgrading to the SVS Ultra tower and Center and the PB4000
That's a very nice setup. With the correct settings (post Audessey) - it should sound pretty good!

Edit: Can you describe what you hate about the sound after running Audessey? It could be a simple setting(s) tweek is all that's needed.

Aspinella23

Novice Member
That would be awesome…we can re connect at a better time of day and Once my mancave/home theater is more put back together from all the flooding and water damage we had. There’s still couches and stuff not set up properly I was just so anxious to get everything back once the room is about 85% done I had to start connecting everything

I just never feel like it’s loud enough. But I also think that’s my brain confusing old home theater a box cheap speakers that were just really loud with high-end speakers that are a good quality

That was the main reason buying the emotiva xpa-3 was to hopefully get some more wattage to those fronts

Jester1066

I
That would be awesome…we can re connect at a better time of day and Once my mancave/home theater is more put back together from all the flooding and water damage we had. There’s still couches and stuff not set up properly I was just so anxious to get everything back once the room is about 85% done I had to start connecting everything

I just never feel like it’s loud enough. But I also think that’s my brain confusing old home theater a box cheap speakers that were just really loud with high-end speakers that are a good quality

That was the main reason buying the emotiva xpa-3 was to hopefully get some more wattage to those fronts
Sounds like a plan....

I'm off to grab some shut eye now though!

Jester1066

You've got the Queen to entertain first thing?
Alas nothing as exiting....

The OP is from the US though. Hence the difference in time! 🤣

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD-OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom