Need Some New Phone Sockets - Advice

Solomon Grundy

Distinguished Member
Hi, in the new extension we have the need for a couple of new phone sockets. I called BT who said they couldn't help because we're with Orange...I did not realise that Orange owned the line now. In any case as they are only extensions to the existing sockets do I need to call Orange and have them send someone out or are there any other companies who can do the same job? I have no idea who to call at orange because all their website goes on about it mobile phones and broadband, not home phones.

Thanks for any help.

Last edited:

RBZ5416

Distinguished Member
I guess you could try a local electrician or alarm installer but then it's easy enough to do yourself with a kit.

Having said that, I'd suggest DECT phones & do away with the unsightly wiring altogether.

Solomon Grundy

Distinguished Member
they aren't really for phones, I need one to plug the Sky box into and another so that I can put the router in a better position in order to cover the entire house because it won't reach everywhere where it is now.

Knyght_byte

Novice Member
Aye, extensions are not the responsibility of your line provider, you either put them in yourself, or get someone like an electrician to put them in.

They are very simply to do however. It mostly depends on if you can be bothered to tack the cabling all the way from point A to point B yourself...heh

figoagogo

Distinguished Member
they aren't really for phones, I need one to plug the Sky box into and another so that I can put the router in a better position in order to cover the entire house because it won't reach everywhere where it is now.

You may get signal loss from using an extension? More so if it is not installed very well. Having said that, other people will insist they get great performance on an extension, personally I will always use the master socket.

Do all Sky boxes need a phone line to work (never owned Sky), or will a network connection work?

The best work around for me was to use home plugs. Our house was fully rewired before we moved in, every room has a telephone socket extension, none of them are used, we just have a pair of DECT phones, the daft thing was the previous owner did all the rewiring but omitted any NETWORK cable/connections :mad:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Large Screen HDR TV or Projector For Home Cinema + Best of the Month
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom