Need some help with using eARC on my C1 with my Pioneer Elite receiver

ozziegn

Novice Member
Reaction score
I just bought a C1 65" and I love the TV. I currently have a 5.1.2 speaker setup which is powered by my Pioneer Elite receiver that supports Dolby Atmos. I know the C1 has the ability to decode in Dolby Atmos. So I did have an optical cable going from my C1 to the optical input on my Pioneer receiver. But, I recently learned that you can't use an optical cable for Dolby Atmos.

Therefore I ordered a modern day HDMI cable that supports eARC so I can use the eARC HDMI port on my C1 to my Pioneer receiver. My question is, which HDMI port should I use my on my receiver so I can get Dolby Atmos sound? Should I use the ARC HDMI port shown in the picture or should I use one of the other ports since I'm just using my receiver for sound only, no video.

Screen Shot 2021-10-21 at 12.32.51 AM.png

Your Pioneer does not support eARC it only supports ARC which can do PCM 2.0 (stereo), Dolby 5.1 and Dolby+ 5.1.2 Atmos on the C1.

Use the ARC port on AVR and HDMI2 ARC port on TV.

In LG sound settings
HDMI-ARC = selected sound output
Digital Sound Out = Auto
HDMI Input Audio Format = bitstream
eARC = Disabled

For PCM 5.1, Dolby TrueHD Atmos or DTS you need device connected directly to the Pioneer.

And sadly from 2020 onwards, LG televisions do not support DTS (in any flavour). Not only are they unable to perform onboard DTS decoding, they are unable to perform 'pass-through' to an AVR or soundbar...

I just bought a C1 65" and I love the TV. I currently have a 5.1.2 speaker setup which is powered by my Pioneer Elite receiver that supports Dolby Atmos. I know the C1 has the ability to decode in Dolby Atmos. So I did have an optical cable going from my C1 to the optical input on my Pioneer receiver. But, I recently learned that you can't use an optical cable for Dolby Atmos.

Therefore I ordered a modern day HDMI cable that supports eARC so I can use the eARC HDMI port on my C1 to my Pioneer receiver. My question is, which HDMI port should I use my on my receiver so I can get Dolby Atmos sound? Should I use the ARC HDMI port shown in the picture or should I use one of the other ports since I'm just using my receiver for sound only, no video.

View attachment 1589546
As next010 says, your receiver isn't eArc compatible. I have an eArc extractor I got on Amazon that sits between the eArc HDMI port on the C1, and a normal HDMI Input port on my receiver (not the Arc / Output port) and passes through Atmos. Not an ideal solution but works well and allows me to get Atmos and 120fps from the Xbox and Atmos from WebOS streaming apps on the tv.

Your Pioneer does not support eARC it only supports ARC which can do PCM 2.0 (stereo), Dolby 5.1 and Dolby+ 5.1.2 Atmos on the C1.

Use the ARC port on AVR and HDMI2 ARC port on TV.

In LG sound settings
HDMI-ARC = selected sound output
Digital Sound Out = Auto
HDMI Input Audio Format = bitstream
eARC = Disabled

For PCM 5.1, Dolby TrueHD Atmos or DTS you need device connected directly to the Pioneer.

Okay, I also have a modern day Apple TV device but I don't use it because the C1 has the Apple TV app and I've been using it. So, should I just use my Apple TV device directly hooked up to my receiver using the new eARC capable HDMI cable for true Atmos sound?

And sadly from 2020 onwards, LG televisions do not support DTS (in any flavour). Not only are they unable to perform onboard DTS decoding, they are unable to perform 'pass-through' to an AVR or soundbar...

So in other words, I shouldn't use the sound processing from my C1 for anything that I want to have the full and best sound running my 5.1.2 setup? I assume my Apple TV device can de all the proper audio that my C1 does't especially with DTS?

So in other words, I shouldn't use the sound processing from my C1 for anything that I want to have the full and best sound running my 5.1.2 setup? I assume my Apple TV device can de all the proper audio that my C1 does't especially with DTS?
It depends. If you favour the sound and want Atmos and DTS then you should connect your devices to the amp and then run an HDMI to the tv to display the picture. The challenge with that is that I doubt your amp will process Dolby Vision, which your tv is capable of and many Netflix, Apple Tv, and Disney+ shows make content in.

If you want to get the best picture in all circumstance, you'll need your devices connected to the tv and either sacrifice atmos and DTS or get one of those eArc extractors I've got, where you'll get Atmos, but not DTS.

It depends. If you favour the sound and want Atmos and DTS then you should connect your devices to the amp and then run an HDMI to the tv to display the picture. The challenge with that is that I doubt your amp will process Dolby Vision, which your tv is capable of and many Netflix, Apple Tv, and Disney+ shows make content in.

If you want to get the best picture in all circumstance, you'll need your devices connected to the tv and either sacrifice atmos and DTS or get one of those eArc extractors I've got, where you'll get Atmos, but not DTS.

Good info, thank you so far.

My Pioneer actually does support Dolby Vision along with HDR10. So I'm thinking I should plug my Apple TV device in to my Pioneer for sound and video processing. Then run an HDMI cable to the Pioneer's HDMI output to my C1. This should in theory cover my requests right?

Also, do you have a link to the eArc extractor you're using? I might go that route if it'll help me better than what I just said above.

Good info, thank you so far.

My Pioneer actually does support Dolby Vision along with HDR10. So I'm thinking I should plug my Apple TV device in to my Pioneer for sound and video processing. Then run an HDMI cable to the Pioneer's HDMI output to my C1. This should in theory cover my requests right?

Also, do you have a link to the eArc extractor you're using? I might go that route if it'll help me better than what I just said above.
No worries, happy to help if I can!

If your amp supports Dolby Vision, is HDMI 2.1 compatible and passes through the full HDR colour processing, then you're good to just link everything through the amp. I know there have been murmurs about the fact that there are very few amps available (if any) that can pass through the full video standards that the new tvs including C1 can process, but I genuinely haven't looked too much in to it. I think you should be ok if you're using the Apple TV 4k for your content and won't be hooking an Xbox Series X up or any next gen gaming rig.

This is the eArc extractor I bought if you do need it. I'm assuming I'm ok to post this...

Amazon product ASIN B08TX473Z8

Well ATV only does Dolby 5.1 and Dolby 5.1.2 Atmos nothing else bar multi-channel PCM.

If you have a NAS with content that uses TrueHD/DTS-HD etc then media players on the ATV like InFuse or MrMC can decode the that audio as PCM 5.1 or 7.1 so yes it can help here.

If you do not have your own media collection and rely only on streaming from iTunes then there isnt any benefit to the box being plugged into the Pioneer.

Well ATV only does Dolby 5.1 and Dolby 5.1.2 Atmos nothing else bar multi-channel PCM.

If you have a NAS with content that uses TrueHD/DTS-HD etc then media players on the ATV like InFuse or MrMC can decode the that audio as PCM 5.1 or 7.1 so yes it can help here.

If you do not have your own media collection and rely only on streaming from iTunes then there isnt any benefit to the box being plugged into the Pioneer.

But I thought my ATV should be plugged in to my Pioneer so I can get true Atmos with my 5.1.2 speaker setup?

But I thought my ATV should be plugged in to my Pioneer so I can get true Atmos with my 5.1.2 speaker setup?

HDMI-ARC supports DD+ 5.1.2 Atmos.

The ATV does not support TrueHD Atmos, it only supports DD+ Atmos.

HDMI-ARC supports DD+ 5.1.2 Atmos.

The ATV does not support TrueHD Atmos, it only supports DD+ Atmos.

Okay. So what if I use the ARC output from my C1 to the ARC output on my Pioneer. Then I can just stream using the Apple TV app on the C1 for both Dolby Vision and Atmos content? Would my sound then be TrueHD Atmos?

Okay. So what if I use the ARC output from my C1 to the ARC output on my Pioneer. Then I can just stream using the Apple TV app on the C1 for both Dolby Vision and Atmos content? Would my sound then be TrueHD Atmos?
You would need that extraction device to do that as you'd need an eArc connection to your Pioneer

TrueHD Atmos is only present on Blu-ray.

It is not present on the AppleTV app built into the C1 or the AppleTV 4K set top box, they only do DD+ Atmos which is supported by HDMI-ARC.

TrueHD Atmos is only present on Blu-ray.

It is not present on the AppleTV app built into the C1 or the AppleTV 4K set top box, they only do DD+ Atmos which is supported by HDMI-ARC.

Well that stinks because I haven't played with my 4K UHD disc player in over a year. After all, who uses DVDs these days with so many streaming services available?

Well that stinks because I haven't played with my 4K UHD disc player in over a year. After all, who uses DVDs these days with so many streaming services available?
If you want HD audio, you are not best served by streaming services. A UHD with a HD soundtrack is 70-80gb which is far too large for streaming for most people, hence the lossy versions.

Currently, playing 4K UHD discs offers higher quality video and audio than any streaming service... It is what it is

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom