Need some help with LG HT805TH 5.1

mattking101

Standard Member
I am thinking of buying one of these systems, i currently have a 42 inch LED edge lit LG tv and a Samsung Blu Ray player. Obviously i wont need the DVD player that comes with the system, so will i be able to set up with my existing Blu Ray player? Also, how is it set up? All through the Blu ray player, or the TV also?:confused:

Broadz

Does the home theatre you are intending to buy support the same digital auxilairy inputs that your Blu Ray player has as outputs (i.e. HDMI, optical or digital coaxial)? If so, yes. If not, no.

When you say how is it set up, what do you mean? How are the two (BDP and HT) connected together? Using an equivalent cable to connect the output from the BDP to the input of the HT. And not via the TV - the TV won't even need to be switched on for the audio out of the Blu Ray player to run through the input of the home theatre.

Though if you intend to watch it, as well as listen to it, it would probably make sense to switch the telly on as well.

mattking101

Standard Member
Ok, so the blu ray player i have is the Samsung BDC 5300, Both the HT and BRP have digitial Optical output/inputs. So, i guess i can use the BRP in place of the DVD player that the HT works from? Where do all the speakers plug into? Do they all go into the BRP also? Sorry, ive not had a HT before, so clueless! :facepalm:

themediaman

Its hard to see why you would want to have 2 blu ray playing devices right nest to each other, unless the Samsung has some benefits that you really cant ignore........

So in this case, the Samsung should be connected to the new 805 with an optical audio cable, as you dont actually want a video signal from the 805 you wont need to connect and HDMI from the 805 to your TV.

If you do decide to just use the 805 for your blu rays, all you need is an HDMI going from the 805 to the TV......sorted...........

themediaman

Ok, so the blu ray player i have is the Samsung BDC 5300, Both the HT and BRP have digitial Optical output/inputs. So, i guess i can use the BRP in place of the DVD player that the HT works from? Where do all the speakers plug into? Do they all go into the BRP also? Sorry, ive not had a HT before, so clueless! :facepalm:
My previous post explains it............

The speakers go into the back of the HT (805), you cant go wrong as this location is the only place there are inputs for the speaker wiring. All the sound will be processed by the HT, so output must come from there.......

mattking101

Standard Member
The 805 only has a DVD player, so i just want the blu ray player in use. You say the speakers plug into the HT(805) but, the only place to plus the speakers into would be the DVD player of the HT, but i dont want to have the DVD player in the equation at all. So will i be able to use the system without using the DVD player that comes with the HT? Hmmmmm, i think i see now, the HT needs to be used as it processes the sound, so connect speakers to 805, connect 805 to blu ray, blu ray to TV, job done?

Broadz

Hmmmmm, i think i see now, the HT needs to be used as it processes the sound, so connect speakers to 805, connect 805 to blu ray, blu ray to TV, job done?
Correct. The DVD player built into the LG HT isn't just a DVD player - it is "the home theatre" that includes both the amplifier (for outputting to the speakers) and a DVD playing mechanism. So, even though you won't use it for playing DVDs, you will use it for producing audio from an external source. So it still needs connecting.

I guess the main question has to be - if you aren't intending using the DVD player that comes with the home cinema (which lets face it, is the reason for its existence) why are you planning on buying a home cinema? Why not just buy a surround sound system and save yourself some money?

themediaman

mattking101

Standard Member
This surround sound system is only £150, so very cheap. If you can find one at the same price that is better quality, without the DVD player function, that will work with my LG 42 inch LED Edge lit TV and Samsung BDC 5300 BRP, then i would go for that! :)

themediaman

LGHB405SU

I have this, it has a blu ray player so you could use your other one elsewhere, plays all files formats I know overs USB and the network, and its cheap...

themediaman

No problem, keep looking about though, I am sure you can find something more catered to your needs......

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month
Top Bottom