1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need some help with HCPC

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by mikeyavman, Jan 17, 2005.

1. mikeyavman

mikeyavman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its so complex, I currently have telewest cable, dvd player, panasonic recorder all hooked up to an rgb to vga converter. It all looks great on my panasonic plasma. I then thought about a home pc to store movies. I plan to control things via a global cache and tablet pc.

I thought I would recycel an old dell gx150 for the job. I mananged to shoehorn in a new 250gb disk and put in my old WinTVpvr card. I am now thinking the 1ghz p3 isnt good enough, even backed with 2gb of ram. It has a built in video card which cannot be altered by powerstrip.

What is my best solution? buy a new pc? buy a vga card for the plasma and keep the cable box connected directly? is the wintvpvr good enough? it looked better with dscaler (but i only had an rf connection) but still wobbled and bled, not to mention it looked very fuzzy, would a sweetspot be better?

Any suggestions appreciated. I have mce2005 so fancy using it as the front end.. this would hopefully make the system wife friendly.

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    A 1GHz P3 will be okay for DVD playback using hardware assist, eg. an ATI 9600 or nVidia FX 5900 or later, you'll not be able to use any form of software processing. That said, the PQ will be pretty good.

However, you can forget MCE on that machine, it'll refuse to install.

3. mikeyavman

mikeyavman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have installed MCE on it, it runs ok, but there is no expansion in the system. I really think I will have to go through the PC to tidy everything up. Any suggestions for AV type cases? etc that arent too expensive?

4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    You amaze me, I've seen people report XP (which is what MCE is) refused to install on a P3.

As for AV case, I'm not aware of any that aren't expensive :) .. I have a gold HT-200 but the cheapest on that site is about £120 I think, and that's without PSU.

5. mikeyavman

mikeyavman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I didnt have any problems getting it installed. Thanks for the link, it looks nice. I have seen the coolmaster for about 120 including the power I think, do you know if it is any good?

Screenshot below before i did upgrades.

Attached Files:

6. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Which Coolermaster, there are several? For my HTPC the Accent range was all I really looked at, the HT-200 Gold was perfect to match my Denon receiver.

I'll frame that screenshot, I really am surprised it installed!

7. stripe

stripe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +123
    XP will easily install on any PC with at least a PIII 600Mhz and 64Mb of RAM, however don't expect it to be too clever with any more than 2 programs open!

8. mikeyavman

mikeyavman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ive had a good look at silentpc and they have a lovely case that enables turning on and off via remote. I wonder what MB will fit in it nicely. I have a 6600gt agp card so hope to recycle that for the video. Would AMD 3000+ be good enough for all this ffdshow stuff?

Thanks guys so far.

9. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    A 3000+ should be enough for some reasonable FFDSHOW processing, Lanczos 4 resize being the prime candidate, maybe a little sharpening if you feel the need.

10. mikeyavman

mikeyavman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Money constraints means that I am going to have to wait to build a new home cinema pc.

I was wondering if I have enough horsepower to do most things with a current pc I have..

Spec:

P4 1.7ghz
    1GB 800mhz Rambus Ram
    GeForce 6600GT AGP
    2 x 250GB WD
    1 x WinTV PVR Pci

I know the processor is a bit weak but I dont think it can go any higher.

11. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    You should have enough there for hardware-based DVD playback, you'll not be able to do any post-processing but the PQ you'll get won't be inferior to anything but a mid/high-end standalone player.

If you encode recorded video to MPEG-2, ie. DVD, or MPEG-4, ie. DivX/Nero, then it'll take some hours.

As you'll know, you've got the right graphics card. :)