Need some help with a decent 6.1 receiver please guys

S

Splinter

Well this is my first foray into buying a decent home cinema sound system and the amp seems to be causing me the most trouble. I've got a Velodyne CHT-10 sub winging my way to be soon from Eric so that's one bit of kit sorted.

The speakers will have to be of the satelite variety I reckon due to the fact in the next few years I'm not sure where i'll be living and chances are it will be a one room flat if i'm lucky as a student. So speakers will most likely be KEF eggs or if I can get enough money together in a few months time maybe the Gallos.

So back to the amp - Currently I've got my eyes on something in the Denon or Marantz range. I've seen the Marantz 6200 available new for £350 and that offers a good 100w per channel but I can't workout if it's any good for a 6.1 system - I'm sure i've read somewhere that it's not proper 6.1. I think it's now been replaced with the 6300 so is the 6200 now old technology?

I'm basically looking for a amp that does 6.1 DTS etc with the most power I can afford - around £350-£400.

Thanks for any help, as i'm starting to get a bit confused here when reading all the jargon filled amp specs!

Sub £400 6.1 = Yamaha RX-V630RDS (£320 from Richer Sounds). I have one and it's lovely. I had trialed the Marantz 5200 (£340 from RS) but didn't like it as much as the yamaha. My advice is to try both of those (they are good) and don't worry about discreet v matrix v whatever they sound terrific when play DTS 6.1 and thats all that matters

Thanks wilbur - i'll try get a demo of those to compare. I just checked out the Yam V630 - will 75w per channel be enough? Attractive to go for the 6200 with 100w per channel.

Wilbur

I don't suppose you know if the Yamaha comes in silver? I can't see it on richersounds website or even the Yamaha website but I have seen it as silver in magazine reviews!:confused:

Bogside,

The Yamaha comes in "titanium" & yes it does look better for it, BUT Richer Sounds in Bristol held out no hope of getting one without a long wait and they "wouldn't necessarily" price match the £320 on their web site :(, so I got the black one from stock and it lives in my AV unit in the corner where I hardly notice its colour, but I do notice how good it sounds compared with the black box that it replaced :D

Originally posted by Splinter
Thanks wilbur - i'll try get a demo of those to compare. I just checked out the Yam V630 - will 75w per channel be enough? Attractive to go for the 6200 with 100w per channel.

75 w in my lounge (20' x 15') is more than enough to get the place shaking!!!!!

Wilbur

I know I'm being a pain but I don't suppose you know where else I could get one form (given that it's not even on Yamahas own site). I'd even be prepared to pay a little more (£40/£50?) as I don't really fancy the black.

Cheers

Try this link to pricerunner and try the sites that it finds (I know that hifibitz did stock it in "titanium" but they were a lot more than rs)

Hit the link on the left of the page, "info flyer". there's a picture of the titanium model there. Looks pretty fine too.

Thanks everyone. Finally got to see the titanium on yamaha's website (product code rather cunningly end in Ti for idiots like me).

Now just got to find a supplier at the right price.

Dont laugh, but I saw it in silver in Curries, for about £399 ????

too much, but they may take an offer for cash, everyone wants a sale..

Captain

The "silver" ones seem to be as rare as rocking horse ****. Yamaha apparently delivering at the end of this month...

I recently bought the Titanium finished Yamaha from my local dealer - there was no shortage of supply from Yamaha - if you dealer tells you otherwise its because they are trying to shift their black stock. Also you shouldn't have to pay any extra for the Ti finish

DealerS. I tried three or four and all had the same story (and all lost sales because of it). But I bow to your greater knowledge of the situation. I now have mine from HiFi Junkies after a small wait "for deliveries from Yamaha of the titanium finish".

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom