Need some help setting up a Mede8er

Discussion in 'Video Streaming Boxes & Services' started by DodgeTheViper, Jun 28, 2015.

1. DodgeTheViper

DodgeTheViper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,083
    I've got the 600X3D and a Synology NAS.

The 600 is on the Network and working and it can see the movie folders. I've put the Movie Folder into Favourites. Clicking into the folder, the movie files show up in two rows of four. I can also see 'nmj_database' & Video. Not all of the Artwork is present, the missing ones show a clapperboard.

If i press the Menu Button on the 600 on the 'Movies' folder then click Scan Folder, i get a message saying 'No movie information found'

I also don't get the info block on the movie at the bottom of the screen. I just see Network/Movies on the left, with number of movies to the right. the bottom of the screen is just blank.

On the Synology, all read & write permissions are granted under Samba & NFS.

Something needs setting somewhere, i just don't know where :)

Last edited: Jun 28, 2015
  2. Andy Clark

Andy Clark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    OK a few things to check: Are all of your movies in separate folders within a main folder called "whatever you want to call it" ? If not then this is an issue as the Mede8er needs all of the films in individual folders. If they are then did you accept the pop up screen to enable the built-in scraper? If you did not then perform a factory reset in the settings menu and it should ask you when you reboot the box.

Another thing to check is the firmware you have installed, make sure you have an up-to-date firmware, you can get that from the Mede8er forum.

If you want the Jukebox then make sure that is turned on in the setting menu. Jukebox + aggregates all of your movies, wherever they may be, into one screen. I suggest you get the movie scraping working first and then go from there.

To get the info on the bottom of the screen you need to enable "Show Movie Info" which is one the options when you press edit button. Personally I hide that info as I like a full page of the movie icons.

The forums for the Mede8er are very active so head over there for more help if needed.

3. DodgeTheViper

DodgeTheViper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,083
    I guess it's the folder/s that's causing the issues.

I have the movie files with fan art and poster art etc but they are not in a seperate folder. I would have to create a folder for every movie and pop all the relevant stuff in the respective folder. Probably a fair bit of work to do this.

Could this be the reason for not being able to show movie info ?
    Some of the artwork is present but not all of it and scanning just fails. I did select 'yes' for scraping on boot up.

TV Series are a pain as well. Every single episode is seperate.

What I see is two rows of movie art with the bottom third of the screen just blank.

4. Sloppy Bob

Sloppy Bob
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,317
    You need a batch file to folder script for the movies.

I'd stick all your movies in one folder called "Movies" and delete (or move, just for safety) all the extra jpg's, nfo's etc it's created, then copy the batch file script onto the folder and run it then identify them all again.

TV series probably only need to be in one folder per series, possibly subfolders inside named "season 1", "season 2" etc not sure as I don't have a mede8er.

https://code.google.com/p/file2foldergui/

I can't find the one I use, it doesn't have a GUI but it does what it needs to.

EDIT - This appears to be it, however it is a rar file from an unknown source, use caution or have a google for file2folder.bat

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/11232-media-center-setup-movie-library.html

5. Andy Clark

Andy Clark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    Sloppy Bob has definitely pointed you in the right direction for the folders creation. I believe quite a few people have used the file2folder file to deal with that. For TV series, you need to create another top level folder, call it whatever you like and then have each TV series in a folder and then each season in a folder inside the Series folder. Be careful on naming the files as they need to be fairly specific for the Med box to scrape them correctly. TV series scraping it slightly different to the movie version.

I am sure it all sounds complicated and time consuming at the moment but once it is set up it becomes a quick painless way to get the movie/TV series artwork etc.

6. snappyq

snappyq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    had a 600 for a couple of years now, its well the time and effort to get it all setup plays everything inc hd audio has full media wall and its easy to use (even the missus can use it) :clap:

7. Rock Danger

Rock Danger
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,188
    This is handy for naming movies correctly and creating a folder around it. Will also handle TV show names too - not sure how relevant it is to the thread tho

http://www.therenamer.com/