need some help please

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by keyser, Jul 7, 2001.

1. keyser

keyser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I´m thinking of upgrading my system, and getting the Yamaha AX-2(is it a big minus that it doesn´t have "pro-logic2") and a Definitive Tech Proseries80 (can´t I get the proseries 100), what would be the BEST way to connect this system? Do I connect the speakers to the sub and the sub to the amp or connect the sat´s as fullrange speakers straight to the amp? How would I connect a sixth sat for the ex channel, is that even possible? (wouldn´t a def tech bipole in the back be a good idea, especially because the rear wall is right up to my sofa)? When there´s a back speaker for the ex channel, how is it used when there is not an ex source, if it uses the same sound as the back(side) surrounds, then doesn´t it ruin the stereo seperation in the surrounds? And lastly, why are the video connection in the amp, don´t I connect everything to my tv, and what is a "component" input, I know what scart is and S-VHS but never heard of compenent which I´ve read is the best. All help is really appreciated, because I live in Iceland and info is hard to comeby and I can´t really see the systems in action, and please explain all this to me like I´m a two year old.
    THANKS. :)

[ 07-07-2001: Message edited by: keyser ]

2. Cliff

Cliff
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,507
    I would connect my sub to the sub line outs on the AX2 and connect all speakers to the amplifier. Use the AX2 to select small or large speaker settings for your front and rears.

EX should only be selected when you have EX software- some will flag the amp to switch automatically.

The simplest EX setup is two speakers on the side walls and one at the back. Next upgrade would be two on the back wall.

Use S video for normal routing but if you have video projector with component - that is the highest quality. Or use a direct RGB connection from the DVD scart to the TV/or projector for equal quality. (the two are not campatible by the way)

You will miss the amplifiers setup graphics if you have a direct connection but that is not too much of a problem!