Need some help please.

muffins

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I was getting no signal on and off yesterday it made watching sky impossible and to day it stayed no signal permanently.

So I called sky and the first thing I was asked to do was a forced update.

Up till then I was still able to watch programmes on anytime and recording in my planner.

After the forced update I have nothing, not even an EPG.

Sky are coming on Saturday but is there anything I can do to get my recordings back up so I have some thing to watch?

Well it seems the EPG, my recordings any anytime just came back. No signal on every channel though.

What you can do in the mean time is exactly what the Sky man will do, which is check and or replace the dish/box/cable. Which would make getting him round pointless.

Recordings won't play back without a satellite signal anyway?

That's right, but in post #2 he had them working when the channels weren't.

Recordings won't play back without a satellite signal anyway?

I'm able to. Just finished watching a show I recorded pressed backup and they have all vanished again, this is weird.

We don't get reports of faults with that machine, so it's likely to be something in the dish and its connections, that the Sky guy will check and fix.

I've got nothing after a system reboot, not EPG, anytime or my recorded programmes. Is it worth doing a system reset?

I know that it will wipe all my recordings, or will a realignment bring everything back?

Leave well alone - the problem could be alignment, or any number of things, so let the Sky guy find it and then fix it.:)

Had the engineer visit and all he had to do was tighten a few bolts as the dish had come loose.

I can't believe I'm being charged €100 for this, called Sky but they can't do anything. Was told I can write in a complaint.

Certainly you can complain and you should do - that's what the complaints form at MySky is for!
Where are you?

Certainly you can complain and you should do - that's what the complaints form at MySky is for!
Where are you?

I'm in the Republic of Ireland. I wasn't even looking for them to wave the fee, just have a fee that reflects the work done.

You're quite right of course. Let us know what happens with the Complaints form.

I'm in the Republic of Ireland. I wasn't even looking for them to wave the fee, just have a fee that reflects the work done.

So if he had to replace the dish, replace your Sky box and recable the lot, a 'fee in keeping with the work done' would mean Sky can bill you extra?

So if he had to replace the dish, replace your Sky box and recable the lot, a 'fee in keeping with the work done' would mean Sky can bill you extra?

Not sure if troll or just…

I can't believe I'm being charged €100 for this

I can. It's the standard call out charge no matter what work needs to be done or what needs to be replaced. If the installer had needed to install a complete new dish, cable, Digibox etc. it would still have been €100.

So you can't complain about the charge. What you CAN complain about is that the bolts shouldn't have come loose in the first place. That puts you and yours in danger. It's a safety issue and indicates a lack of care on the part of the original installer.

It's worthy of note that with these symptoms, where dish alignment, LNB and cabling problems are high on the suspect list, that the first thing Sky tell you to do is a forced update - almost guaranteeing a screwed-up box when the download fails.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom