Need some help please (HDD recovery issue)

J4g3d

Established Member
Reaction score
I removed my 120gb HDD from my slim and stuck it in a caddy onto my laptop to check the contents and copy the contents. Well the HDD wouldnt show up in my computer so i went to disk management inside computer management and it asked me to 'initiate the disk' which i did so. It then picked the HDD up as 120gb unnalocated.

Now when i stuck it back into my Slim it says i need to format it because it cannot detect system software.

Anyone know how i can recovery this?

AFAIK you cant - the PS3 does not use a Microsoft OS and you have just changed the MBR of the disk to Windows, which the PS3 won't recognise

I'm not sure of any recovery software what will be able to recover data you previously had on the drive, but there are various out there which will do partition recovery. The easier way would be to just reinstall your PS3's system software to get the thing back up and running again. Just download the software and follow the instructions.

The PS3 will automatically ask to reformat any drive that's put into it regardless of whether it's already got the PS3 system software on it. You might be able to recover the contents through the PC somehow, but I'm not sure what you'd do with the data after that.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom