1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need some help picking a hifi please.

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by johnsmithxxx, Jul 28, 2005.

1. johnsmithxxx

johnsmithxxx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey there all,

I am looking for a hifi, as my old one had finally packed in. I'm not looking for much, as its a back up hifi, which will just be kept in the living room. The main requirements are that its relatively small, good looking and has adequate sound. My budget is £150-300, although I would like to keep it at £250 or lower.

I have seen two hifi's that seem ok to me.

The panasonic SCPM71SD - http://www.panasonic.co.uk/hi-fi/scpm71sd/index.htm

and this sony one, on sale at argos:

the mhc-wz5

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/s...nds=Sony.Sony&categoryId=21884&clickfrom=name

I must admit, the main reason for these are the looks, they are both very elegant looking, especially the sony one, and would look very nice in the living room.

Anyway, are these any good, any other recomendations?

Cheers!

2. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Denon DM31. Or the latest Teac equivalent for £200. Then spend £100 on a set of speakers, say Wharfdale 8s or Missions.

3. johnsmithxxx

johnsmithxxx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for those suggestions, I'll look into them.

What do you think about the ones i posted? I'm especially drawn to the sony model, due to the very low price! How are they for all in one hifi's?

4. Mr Cat

Mr Cat
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    well.......you get what you pay for!

5. johnsmithxxx

johnsmithxxx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    can you elaborate please? I understand what you are saying, but im a novice when it comes to these things, so a bit more insight would be appreciated!

6. rockhopper

rockhopper
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Basically, what Mr cat is saying is that if you go and spend £250 ish on a full hifi, you're not gonna get anything special - It all depends what you class as 'adequate' sound quality... Your obviously not gonna get anything comparable to a budget seperates system. If you want a setup that is well built, reliable, not tacky, nice sounding, then I would suggest you save a few more pennies and, presuming you have CDs, go for a seperate CD player, amp, and speakers...

This way you would have a far superior system, for not a lot more cash.

7. johnsmithxxx

johnsmithxxx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i see what you are saying. What speakers can I get that will be good for about £200? I need something which has reasonably good bass as I listen to a lot of rock and metal, as well as some hip hop. The thing is, I quite like the sound of some of these speakers on the all in one systems, maybe my ear is just untrained and unused to good quality equipment?

8. rockhopper

rockhopper
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    johnsmith,

£200 will get you a very good pair of stand-mounters, something like the Monitor Audio B2 - but you would also need a pair of speaker stands.

If you room is not too small, and you like your bass, I would go for a pair of floorstanders, although for £200 you may be better off going for a decent 2nd hand pair. There are a few good floorstanders just over your budget (if you shop around on-line) i.e. Mordaunt-Short Avant 906, Acoustic Energy AE etc..

If your room is small though, I would go for something like the Monitor Audio B2 and a decent pair of stands. The B2 should give you plenty of bass too.

9. OneDesi

OneDesi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +243
    You can get ex-dem monitor audio silver s1's for c.£150 from various places (step up from the b series)

10. garnerdarren

garnerdarren

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just picked up a Teac CR-L600 For 200 quid witha pair of small gale 3010 from richer sounds, there will be one near you, the web site is www.richersounds.com, i think, bang it in google it will find it. The 3010's are a bit too small so they let me upgrade for an extra £10er to some gale silver monitors. At the moment the teac is going for £150, pay 100ish quid for a pair of good stand mounts, gale gold monitors (£60), mission m71i(70) for example, you will have a cracking starter system. There's plenty inputs and outputs on the back, including sub and optcal, so room for up grades DAB or mini disc. Its an all in one sytem CD/AMP/RDS Radio , which hifi gave it 5 stars and product of the year in 2002 or 2003 i think. You could do a lot worse. Top brand name ,real speakers what more do you want, and some speaker cable, all well under you budget too. CJ ross is on the ball with this one, good hifi is getting cheaper all the time, and wise purchase from a proper dealer will get you what you need, Agros and index sell hifi and at good prices but wont be able to give you the advice you need.All the best Darren

11. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Deep in the bowels of sussex where the angloargies
    Ratings:
    +1,767
  12. Falp

Falp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings: