Need some help on decision

chris

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I have just got a DV89 on home demo, hoping to replace my denon 2200.

i am now wanting to change (upgrade) my 3803.

I have many times, been tempted to go for the 1066/1075 combo, but i am (hopefully) getting a plasma soon......
and with all the talk of picture delays with plasmas, i was wanting something with audio delay.
Although when i go to the local shops and look at the plasmas, they are feed with Freeview/Sky/DVD/RF and i see no delay in the pic and sound.

I have been reading about the Arcam 300 and by the looks of things, this is going to have a 100ms delay feature, plus the up conversion, that i really liked on the 3803.
Would this be just as good for sound as the rotel combo, or way behind.....??
Most people say that a seperates combo is better than a one box unit.

At the moment i am useing Mackie 624's at the fronts and eltax BP2's (i think thats what they are called) at the rear, in a 5.1 system, with the .1 handled by a SVS 20-39PC+.

I have 5 x M&K s85's, that i was ganner use if i sell my mackies or once i get the plasma (which ever come first).
Would there be a big difference going from the 3803 to the 300, or maybe there are other things out there, for the same sort of price.

Just thought i would ask you Arcam enthusiaists.........:hiya:

Since the 300 isn't out yet, consider borrowing an AVR200 if you can, and see if you like how it sounds compared to Denon, Rotel, etc.. If you like it better then the wait for the AVR300 is probably very worthwhile. I've orderd an AVR300 sight unseen, but it's my third Arcam and based on experience I trust it's a good decision.

However, you should convince yourself that one or the other is better by evaluation, not what others have to say. I personally love the sound of Arcam, but you need to let your own ears be the judge since you have to live with what you end up with.

Dean

Thanks for the response DWETTE.

And i suppose i should of known the answer really and should not of bothered, asking such a silly basic question.
Guess i just wanted someone to make my mind up for me.........

Anyway....i have had a couple of days to think about it and i like the difference between the 2200 and the DV89 (apart from that bloody layer change again, but i guess for the other qualitys, i can live with it), so i have decided that i do want a 300...so i'm ganner place an order tommorrow.....and i guess that, as you say, i will have to live with it....so i am sure that i will get used to it.

Chances are pretty good you'll be very pleased with the Arcam. If for some strange reason you aren't, you should have no problem getting of it.

Dean

Most DVD films are dual layer, so you get a slight pause/freeze, when the player has to switch to the second layer.

Nearly all players suffer from this, apart from denon's 2200 and up wards, because they have a 8 meg memory buffer, to stop the layer change from showing, same as a DVD player would in a computer.

But the difference in PQ and especially the SQ of the DV89 compared to the 2200 is good enough for me to put up with the layer change again.

I think i read some where that the FMJ, does not suffer with layer change........but its a bit out of my budget at the moment.

Originally posted by chris
Most DVD films are dual layer, so you get a slight pause/freeze, when the player has to switch to the second layer.

Nearly all players suffer from this, apart from denon's 2200 and up wards, because they have a 8 meg memory buffer, to stop the layer change from showing, same as a DVD player would in a computer.

But the difference in PQ and especially the SQ of the DV89 compared to the 2200 is good enough for me to put up with the layer change again.

I think i read some where that the FMJ, does not suffer with layer change........but its a bit out of my budget at the moment.

Yikes, so the DV89 has a layer change pause? To be honest that's not what I expect from a serious money DVD player.

If it's noticable that may be a deal breaker for me.

Pity.

Cheers,

Paul.

I've noticed that layer change on my DV88+ is a bit worse than on the Marantz Dv7100 it replaced. Kinda disppointing, but not a real big deal.

I wonder if that can be improved with a software update?

Does Arcam have anything to say on this? John, Andrew??

Dean

phaigh
I have never been overly concerned with the layer change on my previous DV88+ or the FMJ27 I now own.
Whilst it appears considerably quicker than some of the “cheaper” Chinese imports, I’ve never used a stopwatch to prove it’s quicker/slower than it’s main competitors. :D
What you will gain if you buy one, is fantastic picture and sound quality, backed up with some of the best customer service you can find.
It has solely been responsible for rejuvenating my interest in listening to CDs at home again, instead of in the car.
I would be quietly confident, that once you’ve tried one, you’re want to own one.
Here’s a couple of reviews to wet your appetite http://www.homecinemachoice.com/tes.../testbench/DVDPlayers/Arcam/ArcamDV88Plus.php
http://www.whatvideotv.com/testbenc.../testbench/DVDPlayers/Arcam/ArcamDV88Plus.php
The latest feature is an audio delay facility to adjust a PAL or NTSC signal independently, a world first on a DVD player I believe.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom