Need some help on a new DIY A/V project!

Discussion in 'Smart Home, Climate Control & Security Forum' started by porifis, Nov 26, 2010.

1. porifis

porifis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Time to get this project started, I am finally ready to admit I need some help. No idea how to get moving / no local support.
    I have a new built house, I would like to have all T.V's and audio controlled from one source. (media center or equivalent) I also have speaker wire run through the house for roof mounted speakers I would also like to control from any room. Eventually I like to expand to lighting and thermostat if possible.
    I would like to configure 4 rooms upstairs, 1 on the main level, and 1 in the basement.
    All video and audio is run through / to the basement, here I like to make a media / server room.
    I would like to have ability to watch T.V. (HD cable – Shaw), BR-DVD, DVD's, PC media files…etc.
    Where do I start? Need some advice on switches (layouts), media centers, maybe a control5 system? I don't mind a small converter box at each TV, just don't want a receiver / x-box / BR-DVD play…etc
    House is only wired with RG6, no cat5 or similar.
    No idea what is the best way to get the ball rolling. Any comments welcome.

2. phil5366

phil5366
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +274
    Click on the link below, have a good read through my thread and give me a shout if you want some general advice.

Phil.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2010
  3. Linx08

Linx08

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +191
    Hiya,

I would check out some local installation companies in your area. I would recommend Control 4 as being a very good solution that will allow you to expand in the future to control all of your needs as long as the wiring is in place or can be put in place. I'm afraid I don't know any installers in Canada to recommend and you would be a bit far for me to commute to :D.

Good luck in your search and I hope you get what you need.

Kind regards

Linx