Need some help.. I have a sony vaio VPCEC2S0E..

holla21

Hoping someone can help..

I have a sony vaio vpcec2s0e 17.3" laptop. 64-bit os W7 Home Premium
Ram:6gb
HDD:320gb
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU M430 @ 2.27 GHz

It has a blu-ray drive.
Heres a link http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/Sony_VAIO_VPCEC2S0EWI_980779.html

My question: Is it possibe to install a crucial 64gb M4 SSD??

If yes, then how much improvement would I see? and would it be easy to do?

any help would be much appreciated

irradiated

Novice Member
its not the hard but it all depends on what software you have handy for the reinstall
fitment wise its usually just take off a cover underneath, slide the old drive out and then do opposite to replace, should be 2 minutes
the install is where it can be tricky, are you wanting to ghost you copy over to it or do a full and fresh install? ghosting can create 1 or 2 issues as when win7 installs to an ssd it knows its an ssd and set things up from the go, like trim, but a ghost image wouldnt do this so id recommend a full and fresh install so youd need to back up any important data first off the old drive and also have a copy of win7 handy. no idea what comes with a sony, it may just be a recovery disc which wont work on any other drive
as for improvement, w0w there really something else. never used on a laptop but on a desktop its an amazing difference, like having a new pc. everything from bootup to just opening paint is soooooo much quicker you have to try it to believe it. best upgrade you can do to any pc imho.
ive put an m4 into this old sata 2 chipset and it still flies and its faster than my even older m224 in the same setup
if you can manage to install win7 then id go for it, its better than extra ram etc

holla21

So would that mean It would have to replace my 320gb hd? I don't mind having to do a fresh install, however: I didnt receive any software discs from sony, I had to create my own recover discs.

irradiated

Novice Member
well ive known some laptops to support 2 hdd at once but without looking i wouldnt know for sure, usually though its just one. would be easy to tell by removing the cover and see

holla21

Ok, would I need a copy of windows 7 on disc or would it install it from the recovery discs that I made?

irradiated

Novice Member
the recovery discs would be like a ghost image which could give you problems, trim for instance, although with google its all do-able
the best would be a full copy of win7

holla21

Hmm I think il just leave it as it is, I'l prob end up ruining the laptop if I try anything myself. Thanks for getting back to me though :)

holla21

True, I wish I knew more about this stuff lol, 64gb isnt alot of hd tho compared to 320gb.

irradiated

Novice Member
its enough though, and you could either buy a caddy for the 320 and use it as an external backup or just buy a new external, 32/64 gb pendrive etc, sooo many options out there

holla21

So you would say its definately worth doing? I just need to get my hands on a copy of windows 7.

irradiated

Novice Member
lol in a word YES, ive used one now in an old pc for over 2 years (just upgraded to a 128 gb in it) and its been sooooooo good ive not upgraded anything else, pc's about 4 years old now but still plays everything so in putting an ssd in its saved me ££££. although it doesnt actually speed up the cpu/ram etc you have to use one to believe the difference they make, benchmarks are one thing but its in the real world where things matter and these do it.
just put one in the kids pc too and thats as good. best upgrade you can do £ for £

holla21

lol ok im going to go for it as soon as i get windows 7 on disc. thanks for your help mate... il let you know how it goes :)

irradiated

Novice Member
itll be a breeze :thumbsup:

just remember google has all the answers so long as you know where to look and even the crucial forum might come in handy

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom